Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Find an impossible goal
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 17
| visibility 951

Find an impossible goal

Apr 15, 2024, 3:21 PM

For months eat just for that so you have the energy to go on. Sleep just for that so you have the energy to continue chasing the goal.

Turn right on Hereford St, left on Boylston St and your life is finally at peace.
Your life kinda ends as ### are you going to do in the days ahead?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the tug abides

This poast is deep.

Apr 15, 2024, 3:44 PM

So deep, I have no Eye Deer what it means.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This poast is deep.

Apr 15, 2024, 3:47 PM

I would avoid those two named streets. Just saying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Find an impossible goal

Apr 15, 2024, 3:54 PM

Just watched the Boston Marathon while sitting on my porch. Now they let in most anyone (over 30,000).

"In the day" getting a ticket to Boston was very difficult.
You had to run a certified Marathon under 2:50 to get a ticket. Not many could, especially a fat guy my age who was new to any type physical activities beyond playing pool.
I ate and slept for a year to trim down and have a go at it. My friends laughed.

I finished 1143rd out of about 4600 with a 2:44.
Today that would have gotten me in around around 715 of over 30,000.

Here is a photo taken by my Bride the following year when I was about 3 miles out and feeling good.

the tug abides

Apr 15, 2024, 4:04 PM

Run Kemosabe Run
Forest ain't far behind

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Find an impossible goal ]

What year was that Tug?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that Paul Revere guy passed him on a horse.

Apr 15, 2024, 4:10 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What year was that Tug?

Apr 15, 2024, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Find an impossible goal ]

That was 1984, went there 6 times.
A trip to Boston was expensive on a cop's salary - note the shirt - 'Law Enforcement Running Association'.

Some years were freezing rain, some very hot.
This one today (2024) was near perfect conditions, never got that.

the tug abides

Re: What year was that Tug?

Apr 15, 2024, 4:41 PM

All Hail Ambassadors

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 4:46 PM

My knees and running parted ways around 25 years ago. I qualified for Boston and enjoyed the run. Heartbreak Hill was a nothing burger after training around Greenville.

I miss the goals of getting ready for a marathon and the level of fitness one achieves.

Now I live vicariously through my son who is a tough hombre having run several 100 milers including the Leadville 100 which has about 18K ft of elevation gain.

It's rather amazing what we all are actually capable of.

Thanks for remembering Patriots Day, Boston does it right.

My knees and running parted

Apr 15, 2024, 5:29 PM

Here is my Bride the day before the Marathon racing in the Boston 10K.
She could do 7 minute pace or below after 40. I would give $10K to be able to run her pace now as at 78, it would be a state record for me.

She has had both knees replaced, still a force.

the tug abides

10 years ago yesterday I was planning to run my first Boston

Apr 15, 2024, 5:27 PM

but a very rare injury decided to reveal itself about 5 weeks out.

In 2013, I was out of shape, fell out of love with running, and my GF at the time was running Boston for the first time. She ran a PR (and much better than expected) and had just walked into her hotel with her mom when the bombs went off. She was unaware what happened for 30-45 min. As you might imagine, the day was scary for anyone there.

For me though, I, 1) felt terrible not being there and 2) was worried to death of all my friends that were up there. All in all, between my running career and my work career, I had b/n 80-90 friends that were that weekend. Thankfully, everyone I knew was not harmed.

When the day finally started to slow down, I realized I was in shock as I had been listening to the police scanners worried all day about what might happen. I didn't eat or sleep the next 4 days/nights. That made things worse.

Way worse.

Seems this event kick started a pretty good midlife crisis. Best thing I did was go to a friends house and stay in their spare bedroom and let them keep an eye on me for a week. It took weeks though to crawl out of that black hole. But I finally started to put things back together.

Thankfully, I turned back to walking (first) and then running and biking. Within 30 days, I had lost 28 lbs and started to feel amazing.

By August, I ran a marathon to qualify for Boston. Then, I slipped into competition mode. Started running more mileage and starting incorporating workouts, tempo runs, Long Run, etc.

By February, I ran a 1:13:00 half marathon 2 days after a big workout, and 4 days after a 22 mile long run.

Sadly, a few weeks later the marathon had to be called off.

It took months to figure out what I had. Finally, a CT scan revealed I have a bone spur on the anterior side of my Si Joint. It my belief that is the main culprit for my pain when I try to run. Sadly, PT (Lots), PRP injections, chiropractic, dry needling, acupuncture, heel lifts have all pretty much been useless.

If anyone is a orthopedic surgeon, or knows of a one (or a trama surgeon even), I have yet to find one in the States that would go in and remove it.

With that said, the bone spur is my Impossible Goal right now, and has been for 10 years, today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 10 years ago yesterday I was planning to run my first Boston

Apr 15, 2024, 5:52 PM

Life is a hard way to live, especially if you are abusing your body.
Marathon training abuses the body. I don't mean just running one which any healthy person can do, but training to give your best effort.
Completing one and spending months to give "best effort" are not the same thing, not related.

I believe doing "your best" in a Marathon is not possible as many things interfere.
I always believed that after 40 on a perfect day after months of perfect training -- I could do 2:39 at Boston.
"Perfect" never came together, I never reached that goal, so maybe that was ???

I have known many great 5k, 10K runners who believed they would crush the Marathon, only to find Marathon is an entirely different sport.

Your 1:13 in the half at any age shows you have real talent. Hang in there, you aint done yet.
My best half was at age 47 -- 1:17:17. I never did any sports until mid life as I had a job in high school.
Right now I am fat (again), but I am also not yet done.

the tug abides

Re: 10 years ago yesterday I was planning to run my first Boston

Apr 16, 2024, 7:47 PM

Thanks Tug!

Yep, running is never easy. In some ways, it VERY much prepared me for the really tough hurdles in life.

Sadly, I know my best days are behind me as I'll never reach the times I ran post collegiately with the Hansons ODP in Michgian, or shortly thereafter.

I was hoping to break my Marathon record (2:29:03)* that day in Boston and the workouts and predictive charts told me 2:28-2:31.

However, more than anything, I just want to get back to running where you slip into the zone and nothing major hurts and you can spend time and peace with your own thoughts and think about the day and process and flush all the things you need to.

I used to describe what running did for me like this: I have a plate full of 10, 12, 15 things that are on my mind, such as: to do list, things I'm worried about, things that upset me within the last day, etc, etc. By the end of the run, I've flushed half of them and my plate no longer feels like it's over flowing. I've never found any other activity that did for me (mentally) what running did.

*Ran at Chicago the year they stopped the race b/c of the heat. Like you said, too many elements can really derail a marathon. Thankfully, training in ATL that summer prepared me well for a 90 degree day in Chicago and I suffered less than most.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like to go to the Boston Marathon to bet on the runners

Apr 15, 2024, 5:59 PM

and hand out cups of salt water to the runners I am betting against.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hand out cups of salt

Apr 15, 2024, 6:06 PM

One thing that makes Boston different from all other races is the millions of folks cheering for you along the course. They grew up with, understand it.
In '89 it was very hot. Folks handed me water, and I stayed wet for 26 miles, finished well thanks to them.

One year was during the Tylenol murders. I was afraid to take anything from the crowds.

the tug abides

TD ???

Apr 15, 2024, 6:12 PM

Now why would @gat1ger give me a "hit and run like a coward" TD on this post?
I should post a thousand on his posts, but I will not as he aint worth the trouble. I'll just put him on ignore.

the tug abides

Had not thought about it until seeing your post, but this is 20 years since

Apr 15, 2024, 8:06 PM

I ran Boston back in 2004. Qualified (hard part for me) at Kiawah in 2003. The 2004 turned out to have miserable weather on race day. Mid-80's. Back then it started at noon as normal. Weather was in 50's the day before and after, but not on race day! I have never seen so many folks with cramps that had them in the weirdest and painful-looking positions in the last few miles. Crazy day.

The race is awesome. Never been in a race where I was passing folks and getting passed the entire race. The starting corrals and folks being in better/worse shape on race day relative to their qualifying time is the cause I suppose. Finished in just under 4 hours and we went back to the room. Watched the 6 o'clock news with live shot from the finish line. People were still finishing. Felt for them having been on the course in that heat for 6 hours.

Great time for sure and anyone who runs should give it a shot!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 951
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next