Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What I'm learning through this portal season...
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,101

What I'm learning through this portal season...

Apr 19, 2024, 9:19 PM

Obviously, basketball has changed since Brownell first began to carve out a niche and successfully begin using the portal. Everyone will admit NIL has changed things but I don't think we realize to what extent.

Five years from now, there won't be any mid major Cinderellas making noise deep into the NCAA tournament. We are headed for MLB type "money wins championships" era, a la 90s Yankees. Consequently, the other schools will be like the Kansas City Royals- just there to fill a void (or the schedule).

Some schools seems to recognize this and they're trying to get their foot through the threshold before the door closes. As a quick example, schools like Central Florida are landing transfers that would have easily been reserved for the blue bloods just a couple of years ago. No one is hiding anything. Some schools will try to keep up, others will try to maintain a moral high ground but fall behind.

I'm not saying Clemson should change anything they're doing or what they may "stand for",. I'm just a little dissapointed that collegiate sports is morphing into something far from what it was intended to be. But it's right in line with societal trends, so I can't say I'm surprised.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I'm learning through this portal season...

Apr 19, 2024, 10:26 PM

100% In a lot of ways I’m very saddened by the deterioration of a once great sport. It’s back to the old uga days of ponying up the cash and putting players, their parents and family members on the payroll and buying houses and cars and cash, etc, but it’s really cheapened the game . It’s about to save a bunch of money for me, though. I grew up during a time when that was called cheating. It was wrong then, and I think it still is. How low it all has sunk! How low have we, and the sport, sunk thinking this is okay!

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take out a belief system, increase Secularism & get less

Apr 19, 2024, 10:41 PM

morals & morality and people are surprised wirh their World falling apart around them but too ignorant or lazy to correct it one person at a time.

Seeing it in politics big time last 16 years IMHO but of course always been an occurring thing since sin began.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take out a belief system, increase Secularism & get less

Apr 20, 2024, 10:03 AM

The world generally has always been a mess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take out a belief system, increase Secularism & get less

Apr 20, 2024, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Take out a belief system, increase Secularism & get less ]

You do realize how much bloodshed is directly correlated to religion, right?

Denial isn’t just a fiber in Egypt, buddy.

From top to bottom, college football and basketball are a lawless cesspool.***

Apr 20, 2024, 9:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: From top to bottom, college football and basketball are a lawless cesspool.***

Apr 20, 2024, 3:09 PM

I know what a cesspool is but I checked the dictionary definition hoping to add something witty to your comment. It says “a disgusting and corrupt place”. So, nope, I got nothing to add. You pretty well nailed it.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,101
Tiger Boards - Clemson Basketball
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next