Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The curmudgeon in me
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 34
| visibility 1,451

The curmudgeon in me

Apr 17, 2024, 9:40 AM

Can’t stand when I see parents that sign their kids up for these traveling sports teams soliciting money from all the friends and family on social media to help pay for their teams trip to some location or for gear. I’ve heard of people actually starting go fund me campaigns that is just ridiculous. I grew up playing rec sports through my hometown with my 2 other brothers which I thoroughly enjoyed. Didn’t cost much and we were home for supper. Maybe I just don’t get the whole traveling sports thing especially if your kid is like 10 years old. Seems totally unnecessary but to each their own I guess.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The curmudgeon in me

Apr 17, 2024, 9:50 AM

From a parents perspective I can understand the inconvenience.

But from the child’s perspective (10 is young, I’m talking more about teenage years) it can be some of the best memories they will have.

I still remember traveling around the country meeting and playing against teams from different states. Not only was it fun to play, but the memories you build with your teammates staying in hotels or alike are great.

Go Tigers.

Those are some expensive memories***

Apr 17, 2024, 10:57 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Apr 17, 2024, 10:00 AM

It’s an absurd waste of time and resources. Can’t remember how many times we traveled 2+ hours to a tournament and ended up playing a couple of teams from our own city in the championship bracket that we could have just stayed home to play. Pretty sure there is money to be made running one of these select teams. Every dad wants to start one thinking his kid can finally play short and bat 3rd. My garage has one corner dedicated to old batting helmets and bat bags because they have to have something new every year.

Apr 17, 2024, 10:03 AM

The curmudgeon in me can't stand recruiting services assigning star rankings to transfers now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2024, 10:13 AM

This old curmudgeon likes the Clint Eastwood movies in which he plays the curmudgeon role to perfection.

Million Dollar Baby

Gran Torino

Trouble With The Curve

Are 3 of my favs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2024, 10:16 AM

Follow the money! If there is someone making money off these "Traveling" sports teams........then there is your answer. They would serve no other purpose.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2024, 10:24 AM

Travelling teams, in many cases, will do harm to your kids. I have a friend whose son was an outstanding pitcher and signed up for travel baseball. In 2 years time, he completely threw his arm away because of constant playing. He was once a Div. 1 probability to not even getting an offer from any school. Travel ball also burns kids out on their favorite sport. I know of several instances of this and these kids don't even play baseball at all now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is the exact culture that has led to 5Stars being not any good

Apr 17, 2024, 10:40 AM

buyer beware.

R.I.P. Ohio State. R.I.P. UGA. R.I.P. LSU

Can't wait to See a Clemson vs Alabama Natty in the 2025, 2026, 2027 CFPs

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The curmudgeon in me

Apr 17, 2024, 10:41 AM

can't believe the Girl Scouts get away with their grift,: Expensive(but good) cookies being sold by free and effective child labor in prime locations where other companies have to pay for less prominent space.

I feel a bit guilty every time I buy a few boxes. ;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I agree with you ... except for the opinion that GS cookies are good.

Apr 17, 2024, 12:38 PM

I believe they are more mediocre to bad.

Call me snobby, but if I am going to eat a cookie, I want it to actually be good to WOW!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Travel coaches need bodies, so these kids aren't the best after team A. Coach

Apr 17, 2024, 10:56 AM

gotta get paid. It's a business that thrive on parents thinking that their kid is the best and can get a college scholarship.

Travel team $2-3K/yr
Travel expenses $2-3K/yr

+ 10-18 yrs old

= $32-42K

stock market is a better investment or one of those college funds.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the coaches begging for your kid to play on "their" team at 10-11 yrs old***

Apr 17, 2024, 11:02 AM

Re: Travel coaches need bodies, so these kids aren't the best after team A. Coach

Apr 17, 2024, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Travel coaches need bodies, so these kids aren't the best after team A. Coach ]

One problem is that’s about all college coaches look at anymore. You got to figure all of our soccer, baseball and softball players played travel ball. When they give you the soccer bios on a guy it only mentions what soccer club they were affiliated with.

The club in Charlotte is huge and if you are good enough that system could take you all the way up to Charlotte’s MLS team. It’s all one big deal now. They eat up all of these smaller clubs that used to be near me including the one my son played for. We were out of it by then.

MEG

Apr 17, 2024, 11:11 AM

Son played travel soccer and dang it is expensive. He enjoyed it a lot more than I did. I hate to say it but I am glad those days are behind me.

MEG

Apr 17, 2024, 11:18 AM

Simple, don’t give your money to the young athlete. No one is forcing you to give it is a request. Just say NO!

User name checks out***

Apr 17, 2024, 11:19 AM

Parents wanting to live their failed sports dreams through their kids Sad***

Apr 17, 2024, 11:23 AM

Re: Parents wanting to live their failed sports dreams through their kids Sad***

Apr 17, 2024, 11:25 AM

Rec leagues usually suck these days. Award trophies for showing up. If you want to play competitive ball besides school ball it’s turned into travel ball. Head to these showcase tourneys and that’s where the college recruiting is done. Just the way it is. Not many college coaches head to a high school baseball game to watch one prospect when they can go to a showcase and see10+.

Legion baseball is still good.

MEG

None of that changes my statement. A lot are spending money on false hope***

Apr 17, 2024, 11:42 AM

While that is certainly true in some cases, many do it

Apr 17, 2024, 11:52 AM

because they can afford it, the kid LOVES it, and the parents see the value in having the kid participate in competitive team sports. Most aren't blindly and stupidly chasing schollies, rather think the life lessons and health benefits are good for the kid. Many also enjoy family time during those trips while experiencing different cities/states that may otherwise not have happened.

Thanks for illustrating my point***

Apr 17, 2024, 12:41 PM

Well let's see. You've tried unsuccessfully to make 2 points:

Apr 17, 2024, 12:53 PM

*Parents chasing their own failed sports dreams through their kids
*Spending money on false hope

How have I illustrated either of your points?

Having had 3 kids play travel sports, a few things I can share with you that are 100% true:
*Most parents aren't chasing any sports dream, let alone through their kids
*Most HAVE the money to spend, and aren't spending it on any hope for anything
*Most enjoy providing an opportunity that the kid wants, the parent can afford, and the parent is willing to commit time to.

There are most certainly exceptions to all of the above, but it isn't anywhere near the majority.

Understand that by "travel", many are referring to playing games not at their local park. I know plenty of travel baseball families that NEVER leave the Anderson-Spartanburg corridor, and the kids play largely for 3 months only in the summer. "Travel" doesn't always mean trips on private jets to weekend tournaments in Seattle.

You should probably come from a place of experience or educate yourself more before bringing in these scorching hot takes. You sound like the guy that actually has failed sports dreams and/or can't afford it. And that's ok too.

Sure. You've got me pegged Lmao***

Apr 17, 2024, 1:01 PM

My only experience is playing and coaching for 40 years. But live your delusion

Apr 17, 2024, 1:05 PM [ in reply to Well let's see. You've tried unsuccessfully to make 2 points: ]

I'm sure you can sell yourself on what a good job you're doing

Oh, well based on your experience you probably know that "travel" sports

Apr 17, 2024, 1:24 PM

as they are today started (at least here in SC) in the mid-late 90s. It wasn't until probably after 2005 it started looking more like it did today.

You gradutated Clemson in 81? How much of your coaching and playing experience has been in the past 20 or so years?

I'd be very curious as to what experience you have that makes you think that most are just parents chasing false hopes on failed dreams.

Maybe all 3 of my kids that played "travel" for probably a combined 20+ years were just really lucky.

For what it's worth, I have 1 that still does it and 2 that are in college. They are not college athletes. Not a single person in my family regrets a single second nor dollar of it.

And again I'll say...there are for sure people out there like this, simply not the majority from what I've seen.

As a father and grandfather, local recreational leagues are simply insufficient

Apr 17, 2024, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Parents wanting to live their failed sports dreams through their kids Sad*** ]

In baseball and to a lesser extent basketball, local recreational leagues don’t offer sufficient number of competitive outings versus quality competition. I have heard the same from soccer parents.

When my son played little league baseball, spring season with tournament was 20 games and then all-stars. Grandson recreational league is 10-12 games with no end of season tournament. A youth player with potential simply needs more competitive at bats and legitimate game defensive plays than recreational sports offer. Per college and professional coaches, youth players that get 100 to 150 competitive at bats will be more likely to fully realize their full potential.

Admittedly travel ball is a money gouging racket but unfortunately a necessary evil for kids who like sports and want to play up through junior high and beyond. Also, it can be a constructive activity from both a mental and physical health standpoint when coached properly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a father and grandfather, local recreational leagues are simply insufficient

Apr 17, 2024, 1:37 PM

But the Little League/Rec League teams would be sufficient if the "travel teams" didn't exist.

But once the travel phenomenon started, parents felt like their kid had to play travel ball to keep up with the others or they would be left behind and the Arms Race escalated from there. Now, little Johnny needs a personal trainer and private coach because little Jimmy has one.

Just talking about that at a church men's group this morning. Living a dream!

Apr 17, 2024, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Parents wanting to live their failed sports dreams through their kids Sad*** ]

Churches are now competing against another religion, the religion of youth sports

Apr 17, 2024, 12:16 PM

The curmudgeon in me will tell you supper is not a word or meal

Oxford Dictionary would like to have a word with you:

Apr 17, 2024, 2:16 PM

noun. /ˈsʌpər/ 1[uncountable, countable] an informal meal that people eat in the evening I'll do my homework after supper.

supper noun - Oxford Learner's Dictionaries

Irregardless - have a nice day !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I do not need a dictionary to tell me my business

Apr 17, 2024, 3:04 PM

supper is not a word to me and never will be...

The curmudgeon in me agrees with the curmudgeon in you.***

Apr 17, 2024, 12:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

My son did travel ball (I never asked anyone for money to fund it though). The

Apr 17, 2024, 3:15 PM

reason we did it was so he could be good enough to play on his high school team. It seemed like a good path for him to reach that goal (his and mine).

He started 2 years on his high school team - making lots of good memories. Exactly 0 starters on those 2 teams did NOT play travel ball. So... I guess it was necessary...?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The curmudgeon in me

Apr 17, 2024, 9:37 PM

intensely dislikes
jet skis,
drivers cruising the left lane,
all soccer moms everywhere,
rounding up to end hunger,
guilt-tipping,
Ohio,
lululemon,
and
Swifties.