Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tales from Johnstone
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 71
| visibility 5003

Tales from Johnstone

May 21, 2024, 10:00 AM

Thought it might be fun to share stories, pranks, etc from old Johnstone, which, in my opinion, was the heart and soul of old Clemson and basically included the old student union, etc.

Kids today have super nice, relatively luxury dorms there now, but they're missing out on the fun and craziness that was Johnstone!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We almost knocked the end wall out of old F4 one time by bowling in the hall,

May 21, 2024, 10:07 AM

with actual pins that may have somehow made their way from the Student Union bowling alley, and our own bowling balls. We set up the pins at the end of the hall, and before long, the thin metal wall had a severe bow in it from the weight of sixteen pound bowling balls ramming into it.

The ball would really hook on that tiled floor, though!

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roaches

May 21, 2024, 10:17 AM

I lived in Johnstone for more years than I care to admit. One year my room was at the end of the hall, where all the trash cans were right outside my door. Very convenient for emptying the trash, but not so good for cleanliness. My roommate and I kept a scoresheet of who had killed the most roaches. We had to check our beds before we'd climb in bed to make sure there were none under the covers. We had our beds lofted, and I remember one time I was up in my bed, saw a roach, and brushed it off. I was unaware that my roommate was right below me, getting himself ready for bed, and the roach landed on his bare back. He went nuts. I laughed like crazy!

I can't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure I won the roach kill. There was no prize.

Re: Roaches

May 21, 2024, 10:26 AM

We were at the door en of A9 and I had a poster with dayglo paints on the wall. I noticed the paint started coming off in little lines. One nigh I killed a roach on the wall and he was full of dayglo green paint. Yuck

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Roaches

May 22, 2024, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Roaches ]

E6 in 1985-1986. We had a weekly contest for biggest roach. We used to pin them to the bulletin board with our name on a slip of paper. Judging was usually Sunday eve. We had some big uns!

Re: Tales from Johnstone

May 21, 2024, 10:43 AM

It’s been too long for me to remember details but maybe someone else can remember. One year at end of semester somebody set their mattress on fire and tossed it out the window.

Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 7:46 AM

Killed the bed bugs…lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 21, 2024, 10:51 AM

One interesting thing about Johnstone was the use of pennies to wedge a door shut so the folks in the room could not open the door. Just stuff the pennies one by one between the door and jam until the door was pushed as thigh as possible. The handle could not overcome the force on the bolt so the door would not open.

Wondering who the person who discovered this trick?

May 21, 2024, 10:57 AM

as thigh? Did you mean this for the panty raid post below?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Some of the last of us there before going home for the holidays took the door off of the electrical closet and wedged into the outlet to the showers with toilet paper and towels, then turned all the showers on and had a nice five foot deep heated pool until the door bent out and broke. Created the D3 tsunami.
Hall hockey matches with a kiwi shoe polish can and brooms could get bloody. I think they were outlawed when somebody went out of a window. Which of course made them more common.
Characters like Eisenhower, Pissant and the Animal,etc. made the movie Animal House seem kinda tame.

May 21, 2024, 4:48 PM

SOAPINGdown the hall and playing hockey with a Broom...filling a room with wadded up paper while the occupants sleep...taking the plug out of a 55 gal trash can and hanging it on a door knob!

May 22, 2024, 6:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

1969-70 D3? I was there and remember doing the swimming pool in the shower. Also icing the ramp to the lower quad under D-E and slipping down it in trays from Harcombe before watching the campus cops try to drive up it, spinning and sliding back down.

May 22, 2024, 6:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Went out the window and landed in an open dumpster below full of paper and orange peels...wonder who was making Johnstone sangria?

May 21, 2024, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

an engineering major...

2024 free_orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 10:51 AM

Do they still have panty raids? I never went on one..I swear I didn’t Momma!

GT

May 21, 2024, 11:08 AM

Honestly, I tried to recount some of my Johnstone stories to that "Clemson Stories" initiative. But for some reason, they said my stories were too "unsavory" to publish......I don't get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

May 22, 2024, 7:01 AM

You mean the one about synchronized flushing with someone seated on the bottom floor?

May 22, 2024, 12:09 PM

As a matter of fact......

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

May 21, 2024, 11:25 AM

Any sport you can think of was played in those hallways. Golf, lacrosse, soccer and football were my favorites.

Two of my best memories were someone getting blocked in their room by the fridge and all the carpet tiles being ripped off the ground after the 2016 Louisville game.

There would need to be a new forum established

May 21, 2024, 11:41 AM

And according to the new laws here in NC Tnet would need to stand up an age verification process for said forum

Re: I Love The Naive ---

May 21, 2024, 12:09 PM

Especially when they asked during summer camps......"" Did someone leave a maroon colored skateboard in the showers?? ""

They had no idea it was a roach 😆😆😆😆🤣🤣

May 21, 2024, 12:12 PM

Used to love it when it snowed and stealing trays out of the cafeteria and sledding behind Johnstone...

May 21, 2024, 1:04 PM

Speaking of the cafeteria, did anyone ever participate in the food fights in Harcombe? Classic!!

May 21, 2024, 1:55 PM

Never had a food fight but unscrewed plenty of salt shaker tops.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

May 21, 2024, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Oh yeah, back in my day those were fairly regular, especially if the selection that particular night turned out to be pretty bad.

May 21, 2024, 3:21 PM

Speaking of, anyone remember exam week when they would serve waffles in the evening? Loved that!

May 21, 2024, 6:52 PM

All i remember is you got one plate of food and that was it.

May 21, 2024, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Fence crasher going so fast that hit the stadium curb...cubed scratches on back...strip off student rug roll take to tower girls dorm...put him in elevator push 10 floor! Catch a bunch of guys in the showers in winter...enter crawl space...turn off hot water!

May 21, 2024, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Fence crasher going so fast that hit the stadium curb...cubed scratches on back...strip off student rug roll take to tower girls dorm...put him in elevator push 10 floor! Catch a bunch of guys in the showers in winter...enter crawl space...turn off hot water!

May 21, 2024, 1:11 PM

Stealing guy's doors, playing hockey in the hall, hitting golf balls in the hall with the golf team, hall keg parties, steam baths in the showers after intermurals, getting sun on the ledge, drinking, drinking, and drinking...

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 21, 2024, 1:29 PM

I was in E5 all four years - 77-81. Late at night would get a small pack of fire crackers and twist the fuses together and insert it about halfway down a cigarette. We would then light the cigarette and put it in the transom above the door and climb in bed. Low and behold fire crackers would go off in a couple of minutes when the cigarette burned down to the fuse. Some people would get very perturbed.

Contrast in cultures....

May 21, 2024, 1:46 PM

I remember some Indian students (from India) who would take showers very conservatively - run the water to get wet, turn it off, soap up, run the water to rinse off, turn it off, dry off, and done.

Meanwhile, the American kids - some of us would take those metal desk chairs into the shower, turn the water up as hot as we could tolerate it, sit in their and soak, while we had another chair outside the shower jamming some music. That could last for 20 minutes or more. I never did it - but saw several other kids do it! Unlimited hot water - how often in your life to you have that?? Milk it for all it's worth!

May 21, 2024, 1:52 PM

In 1968 a guy went home for the weekend and came back and opened his door and the room was full of crumpled newspaper. He had left his window open to the ledge outside.
Another one was to partially fill the 55 gallon trash bin with water and toilet paper to make a mush and then lean it against someone’s door late at night and then when they opened it in the morning …. a flood! Usually it was done to the hall sh-t.
One weekend it snowed and no one went home so we took a door off of a room and made a da-m in the communal shower entrance which resulted in a mini heated swimming pool. Towels covered the cracks and drains.
To me living in the tin cans was like summer camp without rules.

Message was edited by: lthom022®

May 21, 2024, 2:26 PM

string of fire crackers under the RAs door

extremely loud

sorry about that

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 3:51 PM

Two guys down the hall from me hung a dart board on the inside of their door. Played darts all year. Metal door felt like a cheese grater and they had to pay for it. ha ha ha

Class of '87

In 68 we were only allowed to have a clock radio and a coffee pot but

May 21, 2024, 5:02 PM

The guys next door kept a small refrigerator in their room. When the hall superintendent came by for room inspection, they threw a blanket over the fridge, turned up the volume on their radio and started playing cards on the blanket. The Super never had a clue.

Re: In 68 we were only allowed to have a clock radio and a coffee pot but

May 21, 2024, 5:54 PM

I think it was my senior you but a coot student parked his car under the walkway or the causeway of Johnstone. Some students filled the car with the tiger and set it on fire. Wasn't me lol. '82

May 21, 2024, 6:30 PM

That was right under my room on D4!!!

May 21, 2024, 6:46 PM

The wall art in Johnstone was great. Took closet doors and ###### off the drains in the shower to make a small pool. The snowball wars from the upper quad to the Loggia the Thursday night after 9 and 3\4" of snow in March '71. Tuesday dinners in Harcombe before Thanksgiving. No A\C in Johnstone until '70. The guy on F overpass that put his Centrix phone number in the window facing the Shoe Boxes and his phone rang for two days. The great Steak Poisoning of the Fall of '69. Classes 5 1\2 days a week. The BJU boys standing outside the Loggia Friday night as students returned from downtown.

May 21, 2024, 8:39 PM

I think the steak poisoning was spring of 69. I always ate at steak night but that evening I went to spring practice, luckily.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2024, 2:39 PM

Read this often. First mention of steak poisoning that I remember. Seems to me it was fall, but not sure. I was in the cans. Went to bathroom to puke. By the 3rd trip, the stalls were full. Redfern ran out of rooms

May 26, 2024, 2:47 PM

And victims were parked in the hallways. School first said it was flu. Sorry, hundreds of students don’t get the flu the same hour. Half of the time I was afraid that I would die, other half the time I was afraid that I wouldn’t. A long night.

May 23, 2024, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: In 68 we were only allowed to have a clock radio and a coffee pot but ]

i was in D6, everyone had to evacuate in the middle of the night

May 21, 2024, 7:41 PM

The super nice luxury apartments are a joke, just a way to extract more money from parents. Those old dorm and old apartments taught some appreciation when you got out and got something nicer. For a lot of students their college living will be better than what they are able to get when they get out

May 22, 2024, 7:13 AM

Was dorm daddy in E for 3 years...had mix of oldE and new E...stayed there whole time down stairs to PO and food!

May 21, 2024, 7:42 PM

I’m still bound by the lifetime “code of silence” the guys of D6 agreed to during the day! So far no one has cracked - thus we remain out of jail and they have not rescinded our diplomas!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 7:53 PM

Had someone go to a bait shop and get like 100 live crickets and came back, let them go under another guys door...

Of course, filling an album cover with shaving cream, slip it under a door and jump on the cover.

Had a guy take off the medicine cabinet above those sinks we had in the room... and crawled in the wall (not sure what the heck he was doing...)

Like already posted, if you left your room, you made sure the windows were closed. Guys next door left with windows open, out on ledge, opened door and filled it with newspaper, floor to ceiling. Guys were running all over Johnstone trying to find old newspapers.

And wasn't there asbestos on the ceilings???

May 21, 2024, 8:00 PM

Also forgot this one...

We had a hall party one weekend, and had left over special punch... so my roommate drank orange juice in glass jars all the time, and for some reason had saved several of the jars.

So not wanting to be wasteful, we filled the jars with leftover punch to save for later.

Several days later, guy came over to study and was telling him about the party, and since we had several jars left over, told him he could have one. Had stored it in the slide open cabinets above those open closets. Pulled a jar down, opened it, and of course was all moldy on the top. "Just scrap it off and it will still be good." lol

So when guy left, he forgot the jar, so put it back up in the cabinet.

About 3am the next morning, roommate and I asleep on our lofted beds. Wake us to this loud explosion. No idea what it was...then we start hearing this drip, and this awful smell. Jar had exploded, punch and glass all over them including in the already old carpet we had put in the room.... Took MONTHS to get smell out...

Moved the other jar out on the ledge and within the next 24 hours or so, all of them had exploded...

Really smart...

May 22, 2024, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Tales from Johnstone ]

Yes...they had just done it and the ceiling collapsed on us the first night! Scared the headline out of us...they Nad it clean in 15 minutes!

In January 1966 it got so cold one night

May 21, 2024, 8:08 PM

Zero degrees I think, I scraped ice from the wall next to my bed

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 21, 2024, 8:42 PM

I was only the second person in my large family(10 uncles) to get a 4 year degree In fact, the very first day that I stepped on to Clemson University was to literally move in to Johnstone. I had never seen the campus. SO, all this was NEW to me. We stayed in the section that was directly in front of the Police Department(1983). About 2 weeks in to my stay, my roommate wanted to go visit a friends room that was on the 3rd level, literally in front of the Police Department. We walk in and his entire window was loaded with marijuana plants(all sizes)!!!!!!! I was SHOCKED!!!!! They did not see anything wrong with it!!!
I was going home the next weekend and I stopped by their room and asked if I could take a small plant home with me---to which they agreed. At that time I had been living with a favorite Aunt & Uncle who lived in a very nice neighborhood. I planted the small weed inside a potted house plant. WHen they arrived home I asked them what type of weed did they have growing in "that pot"? My Uncle immediately knew what it was but my Aunt had no idea. WE HAD A HUGE LAUGH ABOUT THE WHOLE THING!!!! In the beginning, I told them I had no idea how that weed got there, but later confessed to the story.

3 weeks later, I returned home for the weekend. WHen I drove up in the driveway, I was SHOCKED TO SEE WHAT WAS SITTING AT THE FRONT OF THE CARPORT IN IT'S OWN BIG POT!!!!! THAT MARIJUANA PLANT!!!! My Uncle put it out there saying, "He wanted to see how big it would get." I quickly pulled it out and destroyed it!!!! My education was the most important thing in the world to me. I could see the newspaper headlines "freshman student brings home Pot Plant for family to grow!!!!!! Followed by, Clemson student kicked out of college after just 4 weeks.

May 21, 2024, 9:15 PM

I’m old and can’t remember the room or wing. It was the top floor across from the police and fire station. We could go out the window and had access to the roof of several more wings. Just step out on the ledge walk a few feet and step down to the roof of the next wing. Below our window on ground level was the circle and drop off point. 15 minute parking. The parking police would come through and mark the cars. Came back a little while later and write numerous tickets. We would lay in wait with wet toilet paper. About ten of us would bomb them with toilet paper when writing tickets. After several events like this and no luck catching us, they quit writing tickets below us. 1976.

May 22, 2024, 8:38 AM

Top floor across from the PD was the underpass where D & E joined...think you could go from new A to end of new E if you cut thru the offices at the loggia...It was a great time...pork chop night at 655 extra ones...that was the lowest grade of pork but they were great!

May 22, 2024, 2:36 AM

Two things . . . I have to be the only person to paint their room in Johnstone? And I mean a complete painting, ceiling to floor :) Yes, the RA allowed me to do it. Second, we blew the breaker for the hall. We had capacitors that were found in the Engineering building. They were wired together and plugged into the socket. The wing went black LOL

May 26, 2024, 1:36 PM

and it never made sense why the entire hall went black, because the breaker should have tripped more locally. Had something to do with catching the spike on the top of the sine wave, yadayadayada . . but it really happened :)

May 22, 2024, 7:04 AM

How bout the 9pm study night road trips to the waffle house on 85 at Anderson...truckers special...how many can you pack in a 1965 Chevy bel air!

May 22, 2024, 8:26 AM

I was a Freshman the year streaking started. Lived on E-4 across from fire department a d we would sling shot cherry bombs to the opened doors of the building. The fireman would shout incoming.

May 28, 2024, 12:55 AM

I was on E wing as well. Hated watching the hoses get laid out and rolled up all teh time LOL

May 22, 2024, 9:00 AM

I was in F4 (or F5, I always misremember) in the mid 80s. We got "pennied in" at least once. Also, we made several sorority girls mad once (doing stupid stuff, I'm sure) and they tied the door handles together for 8 of our rooms. Since the doors were all loose in their frames, trying to open YOUR door actually started rattling (and then slamming) the door across from you.

It took a while to get someone NOT on our hall to get us out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 9:11 AM

There was a story going around about Lou Cordileone, an All American tackle at Clemson back in the late 50's when football players were housed in the cans. Lou had the reputation as the meanest man on campus during the old military days. I wasn't there but I was told it went something like this:

There were some hippies and other various weed addicts sitting around a small campfire in the quad one night protesting against God knows what while beating a small drum. Annoying. Supposedly, Lou, being the enforcer that he was, opened his window and yelled out "OK. I'm going to bed." Within one minute the fire was extinguished and there wasn't a person in sight. All was quiet on the Quad.

Well done, Lou!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 9:27 AM

He had likely delivered a prior warning in person... so they knew what was going to happen next.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 9:25 AM

I used to deliver newspapers, and some of the sounds coming from rooms on an early Saturday or Sunday morning were very interesting to say the least.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

May 22, 2024, 9:35 AM

My 2nd year on D4, our next door neighbor lost his pet iguana. We searched all over the place, but we couldn't find it. It was around late October at the time. In early November we started smelling something very rank. The iguana had climbed into the heater to stay warm, and it's waste collected there and began to stink. That was nasty!!!

May 22, 2024, 10:33 AM

The tin cans what memories

Snow Ball fights in the quad

Poker games

Walking in on another room having a wonderful time with his woman

Mississippi Queen being played over and over

etc. etc. etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2024, 7:46 PM

Spent 3 years in E6 (Short hall) in early 80s. Lots of good memories and reading this thread brought back a lot of additional memories. Here are some of my favorites: Sports (all varieties) in the halls, sitting on the ledges, bottle rocket fights with D4, hall parties, card games, and just sitting around waiting on the next thing to do. Somebody was always coming up with something. One thing no one mentioned - we had a pizza box ski jumping competition. Somebody had a ski rope, and we made skis out of pizza boxes, and a ramp out of a board and and a trash can. Three or four guys would be the “boat” and pull the ski rope getting you up to full speed down the long hall, then you jump and try to clear the metal chairs laying sideways landing on second set of pizza boxes. Easy at first, but we kept adding chairs. Think the record was 14, but it ended abruptly when one guy didn’t clear the chairs. Wasn’t pretty. In all, Johnstone was a great experience, good and bad. Wish everyone had that opportunity. Don’t know what you missed.

May 23, 2024, 9:53 AM

My dads got some need to ask him sometime.

Had a couple of stoners next door to me one year

May 23, 2024, 10:42 AM

I swear they dealt, too. Someone would knock on their door. Music would turn up really loud for a few minutes. Guys would leave and music would go back down. I think the only reason they were in college was to do and sell drugs. They only lasted one year. They smoked so much in there that it would seep through the walls into my room.

One day while getting my laundry from the laundromat by the p-plant, I found some panties in my dryer. No idea how they got there. I hadn't worn them in months at that time ;) Figured there had to be something I could do with them. Had a girl I knew write a note that said something like "Thanks for the great time the other night. Here's a little something to remember me by," so it was definitely female handwriting. We taped the panties with the note to their door. Had another guy on the hall who'd always wanted to prank someone with ExLax brownies, so we recruited him, too. He made some ExLax brownies and put them at the foot of their door, beneath the panties, so they all went together.

The stoners found the panties and brownies and asked me if I saw the girl who left them. I honestly said no - because no girl left them! I went on to classes. Came back a few hours later or so after classes and lunch and walked by the bathrooms on the way to my room. I've never heard such moaning and groaning coming from the bathroom. I don't know how many of the brownies they ate, but must have had a lot, and the Ex Lax was apparently pretty potent! Best/Worst practical joke I played, I think, during my time there.

May 23, 2024, 5:03 PM

We used to clear out one room and use to for boxing matches. The walls made pretty good ropes and you could beat the he77 out of each other and relieve some frustration. Unlike the pros, we had one minute rounds and then two minutes of rest between rounds. It was always good to avoid boxing the boys from New Jersey with Hispanic names ..... like Dave Fernandez!

I lived on the hall that was even with the road out front that the post office was on. There was still about an 8' deep"moat" between the road and the ledge outside out window. The width of the space wasn't too wide, maybe 4', but my freshman year my roommate from New York (darn genius) lost 7 room keys and wanted me to stop locking the doors, which I wouldn't do. So I always left a window open and the last three months of the years jumping onto the ledge and crawling thru the window was his only was of getting in the room.

Tales from Johnstone: D3

May 26, 2024, 1:01 PM

I applied for a job as Resident Advisor (RA) through the Housing Office in Spring 1984. I got the news that I was assigned to Johnstone D3 and would start in the Fall of 1984. Not long after I received my assigned floor that spring, I started to see graffiti around campus stating “D3 Rocks!” I thought, what a nice sense of community they have on D3… I had spent the previous 2 years on the mild floor of Johnstone E6.

I soon found out that D3 Rocks! was not just a slogan, but a lifestyle for that rowdy bunch. The RA’s room was located at the T junction of the hall. When I moved in, I noticed that the RA room door and surrounding walls were pocked marked with what looked like dents from small rocks. It didn’t take long for me to learn that the source of those dents were golf balls being hit with a 2 iron from the end of the hall… D3 had quite a few hard rockers that got ready for their morning classes by blasting music and smoking some strange hand rolled cigarettes… And once a resident was awakened one too many times by a false first alarm, which led him to destroy the alarm horn with a claw hammer.

Those D3 guys taught me a lot about leading with diplomacy and the year was fairly peaceful. However, in the Fall of 1985, I took the RA job in Lever Hall for less money and 99% less problems.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Late Contribution

May 27, 2024, 11:23 PM

Sometime in the ‘77-‘79 timeframe, some friends and I constructed a tennis ball cannon from duct-taped tin cans (how appropriate). Small hole in last can allowed ignition of lighter fluid sloshed around in the contraption, with a tennis ball in the breech. VERY effective! We fired it out the window once and then stealthily slipped it between the Venetian blinds for another shot. An RA from another hall was out in the quad trying to figure out what was going on and saw this. As he approached… “Fire in the hole!!!” A ball of fire and a tennis ball threatened to take off his head. He came storming in and found our RA, who somehow negotiated a simple cease and desist. In hate to think how that would come out today.

So many good times!

Re: Late Contribution

May 28, 2024, 1:09 PM

frognapper said:

Sometime in the ‘77-‘79 timeframe, some friends and I constructed a tennis ball cannon from duct-taped tin cans (how appropriate). Small hole in last can allowed ignition of lighter fluid sloshed around in the contraption, with a tennis ball in the breech. VERY effective! We fired it out the window once and then stealthily slipped it between the Venetian blinds for another shot. An RA from another hall was out in the quad trying to figure out what was going on and saw this. As he approached… “Fire in the hole!!!” A ball of fire and a tennis ball threatened to take off his head. He came storming in and found our RA, who somehow negotiated a simple cease and desist. In hate to think how that would come out today.

So many good times!

See how reasonable Clemson RA’s were? During my time as RA on D3, I am certain that I helped some of the stoners avoid expulsion and/or jail time.

Those same guys are now mature and successful professionals who were not tainted by a criminal record as a result of some youthful indiscretions. And I am happy about that result.

May 28, 2024, 4:29 PM

Was in D (3 or 4, I forget) my freshman year in '68/'69. We did the closet doors in the showers for pools. We actually had a door cave and flooded the hall.

Was in the last real rat class in '68. First time I got in the shower with a shaved head, I almost drowned.

One no one has mentioned was to get in the tunnels and catch the biggest cockroach you could find. Then we'd have races in the hall. Squirt 'em with lighter fluid, light 'em up and watch them go. Probably wouldn't do today, but was great fun then.

Moved to new F as a sophomore. Thought that was the lap of luxury.

Replies: 71
| visibility 5003
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next