Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something else you see on Johns Island today that we never saw growing up there
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,951

Something else you see on Johns Island today that we never saw growing up there

Apr 25, 2024, 9:00 PM
image000000.jpeg(411.4 K)
IMG_7711.jpeg(174.7 K)

And no, I’m not talking about a bunch of yankees. Someone was raising these near where my brother and sister lived. The lady moved away and I guess left some of them and they are just living wild there now. See them all the time. Noisy buggers too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Something else you see on Johns Island today that we never saw growing up there

Apr 25, 2024, 9:07 PM

I'm assuming that's a peacock?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: Something else you see on Johns Island today that we never saw growing up there

Apr 25, 2024, 9:08 PM

Oops... just saw the 1st picture, and that's a dead giveaway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 25, 2024, 9:15 PM

First time we heard one scared the carp out of us. Sounded like a kid screaming “HELP”!!’

Apr 25, 2024, 9:14 PM

Yes, they are a very obnoxious bird. Growing up, we had folks that raised them not far from us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2024, 9:18 PM

That’s what happened here but some either got away or the lady that was raising them just left them when she moved a few years ago. They live in the woods behind my sisters house and we see them a lot of times in the field with the wild turkeys. I keep wondering if somewhere down the line they might cross breed. That would be an interesting creature.

Apr 26, 2024, 1:57 PM

My mom has 5 or 6 in Iowa and a few yrs ago a stray dog tried to catch one of the peacawks and it flew away. Disappeared for few months then they saw it about 2miles away in a field with a bunch of turkeys. That was couple yrs ago, not sure if its living wild still or if a cold winter took it out?

Apr 25, 2024, 9:23 PM

I saw one that got out of the Greenville Zoo one time in Cleveland Park and hoped on top of someone's new car in the parking lot and just spread his feathers out proud as a peacock. lol.

Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to

Apr 25, 2024, 9:28 PM

a motion detection alarm system, enjoyed by farmers and plantation owners. They were noisy and would sound off when someone was riding onto your property, or say a coyote was skuling about. They have been in South Carolina for several hundred years, they were also handy in alerting plantation owners of runaway slaves.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to

Apr 25, 2024, 9:31 PM

Coyotes may take care of them. Don't know how well they can fly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2024, 9:35 PM

Saw one fly into the field last night. Similar to a wild turkey. Awkward but effective.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

I've seem tame ones roosting pretty high up in the trees, so they must fly pretty good...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2024, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

They fly fine. Just not long distance.

Apr 25, 2024, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

My brother and sisters still live on the same plot of land we grew up on and I never saw a peacock or a turkey and you can count the number of deer I saw here growing up on one hand. But the place is overrun with all of them now. We see 25-30 deer in the field on a very regular basis. Of course you can’t safely shoot a rifle here anymore because of all the development going on around them. When I was a kid we would shoot squirrels out of trees with .22s and never even have to give a second thought about anyone being in range.

Apr 25, 2024, 9:36 PM

somebody obviously would have had to have brought them onto the island, just saying they have been in there area for centuries. They did not just recdently fly here from Africa.

Apr 25, 2024, 9:40 PM

Totally agree. Just like deer and turkeys, they were noticeably absent for a while and may be making a comeback now.

The only place I ever saw them as a kid was at some of the big plantation homes that were tour destinations so your original post makes perfect sense.

Apr 25, 2024, 11:21 PM

We had Guinea hens where I grew up, they just ran wild around the neighborhood and would wreak havoc on people's gardens. They were as loud as roosters when they got spooked.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:38 AM

Yes but they are some of the best yard alarms as you can get bc they will raise H&ll if a strange person or vehicle comes in the yard during the daytime, and they will raise H&ll at anything coming in the yard at night. I actually new a man way back in the day, he would stash 10-20 pounds of weed in a barrel out in his Guinea pen and never had as much as a bud to go missing. This man was my 1st cousin, and nobody but him, his brother and me that knew where his stash was, and I can promise he would know if anybody was in his yard;)

For anybody keeping more than ounce at his house, it's worth remembering that anything the man with the star finds in your yard, it's not yours and you don't know how it got there bc anybody with an axe to grind with you must have put it there...

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2024, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

When I was in South Africa the guinea foul were definitely the alarmist. If you sat at a watering hole, if the guinea were happy the wildlife was happy but if they alarmed everything scattered. Same thing happened with baboons too.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

It sounds like that area might be getting overpopulated with the deer, and places where the deer are overpopulated equals small deer!!!

Apr 25, 2024, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

A friend of mine had several at his junkyard(cars) rather than a watch dog. Perry, S.C.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2024, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

Sounds like they are maybe distant kin to the Guinea birds...

My mom had a pair of guinea hens when I was a young kid. Man, those things

Apr 26, 2024, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Peacocks along wit hGuinea hens were the 18th century equivelent to ]

were NOISY! Use to chase them around the yard, just because I knew they would sound off!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 25, 2024, 10:09 PM

I remember seeing peacocks in Hampton Park near The Citadel campus In Charleston as a kid.

Apr 26, 2024, 12:46 AM

They have a lot of them at that seafood house in Augusta also, I guess they feed them all the left over grits...

They are a "No Manners" . . .

Apr 25, 2024, 10:24 PM

feathered fiend . . . They will play havoc on a car’s paint job by fighting their reflection . . . weird birds to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They are a "No Manners" . . .

Apr 25, 2024, 10:40 PM

There was a national news report a few days ago about a town in Florida being overrun by them.
When does peacock season start?

Re: They are a "No Manners" . . .

Apr 26, 2024, 12:57 AM [ in reply to They are a "No Manners" . . . ]

Skeeta when I was a kid we had this really big grey rooster that would attack any hubcap or rim that he saw himself in, and he would attack with full intensions to kill with every launch!!! People that were at our house for the first time that had never seen him attack the car wheels, they would sit and watch for that rooster to walk by and attack those wheels all day long...

Apr 26, 2024, 12:13 AM

Those are some really good eating birds right there, and maybe if I were you the rooster would've been in my fridge tonight and in the smoker in the morning, but without the smoke...

Apr 26, 2024, 10:10 AM

They can be so loud sometimes!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 3,951
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next