Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rory McElroy LIV Rumor
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 40
| visibility 2,601

Rory McElroy LIV Rumor

Apr 16, 2024, 10:59 AM

Is that he has been offered 832 million (US dollars) 1.2 billion Euros, plus 2% of LIV TO join.

That kind of generational money opportunity only knocks once if you are lucky enough to get it. I would sign up quicker than the ACC can sign up useless additions to the conference.

He could play 50 more years in the PGA AND not even get close to that amount. Plus, he could win another 20 million a year in LIV tournaments. He is eligible to play in the 4 majors for the next 2-4 years. McElroy, Spieth, and Thomas plus Ricky Fowler are not that good and they should take the LIV money and run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rory McElroy LIV Rumor

Apr 16, 2024, 11:07 AM

Rory is 35 now (i think), he should definately take the money, his best days are behind him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 11:09 AM

Agree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Rory McElroy LIV Rumor ]

you take that money no matter what

He's talked so much junk about the LIV tour that I don't think he can

Apr 16, 2024, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Rory McElroy LIV Rumor ]

they're basically doing this to call his bluff. He's really the biggest opponent to guys going over there. It would be hilarious to see him throw up the deuces to the PGA and jump ship though.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:13 AM

Those numbers don't make sense...the currency conversion is way off.

thought the same thing.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:15 AM

The dollar is higher than the euro… 1.3B-ish USD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thought the same thing.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:20 AM

No, the Euro is more valuable than the dollar. But it's not by that much. The rate is currently about .94.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:25 AM
IMG_0990.jpeg(91.2 K)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you trying to be funny right now? I dont sense sarcasm***

Apr 16, 2024, 11:41 AM

Re: Let's break it down even farther.

Apr 16, 2024, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: thought the same thing. ]

Say you want to buy a nice pair of golf trousers that are 120 EUROS, you would need $128 to purchase them in US dollars. Therefore the Euro is more valuable.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: thought the same thing. ]

elwyn07® said:

elwyn07®, thank you for posting the proof that the EUR is more valuable than the USD.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Rory McElroy LIV Rumor ]

Just posting what was in the two articles covering the rumor. I have no idea about the conversion. But, I have heard that 800 million figure in rumors last year. Rahm got over 500 million, and Rory is a bigger name ( notice I said name).

Apr 16, 2024, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Rory McElroy LIV Rumor ]

https://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/the-masters/golf-news-2024-pga-tour-rory-mcilroy-linked-to-liv-golf-defection-in-13bn-backflip-latest/news-story/eb387e09db7a9fa29ef04ee00b8b65a0

Message removed by Author

Apr 16, 2024, 11:23 AM

Message removed by Author

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 11:25 AM

It is insane. That's why I would take the insane money.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Message removed by Author ]

When the Saudi sovereign wealth fund has approximately $920 Billion in assets, what is $800M to Rory? Nothing. They are green washing their public image with popular sports figures across multiple international sports.

The way that the PGA (Monahan) skerewed the golfers (in particular Rory)

Apr 16, 2024, 11:29 AM

it would be hard to blame McIlroy for at least looking. His manager came out and said that it was fake news. I do see some agreement between the tours happening sooner rather than later.

https://www.sbnation.com/golf/2024/4/16/24131944/rory-mcilroy-liv-golf-850-million-fake-news-bomb

Re: The way that the PGA (Monahan) skerewed the golfers (in particular Rory)

Apr 16, 2024, 11:36 AM

Jon Rahm also denied the rumors as well as some of the others, like Cam Smith. Until the deal is done, it is going to be denied. How many college coaches deny rumors of leaving their current school and then leave, making the rumors true. LIV has been after RORY for over a year. LIV has never denied the offer. I believe the offer has been made. Rory would be crazy to not be considering it since eventually the PGA and LIV are going to merge.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:42 AM

I watch all of the LIV tournaments and like them better than the PGA tournaments which I used to watch every one. They play some good golf on some very beautiful courses around the world. I think the coverage by the commentators is very good. Hate that it is on the CW channel, and often I just watch it on LIV+ STREAMING. I like the team aspect and all of the golfers seem to be a close knit group.

Apr 16, 2024, 12:08 PM

I didn't like it.

LIV when they were first getting started supposedly offered Rory and Tiger

Apr 16, 2024, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: The way that the PGA (Monahan) skerewed the golfers (in particular Rory) ]

a crazy amount of money, I believe it was upwards of 750M/Ea. Fighting against a conglomerate with an almost trillion-dollar war chest is hard. I also will not be surprised if Rory bolts to LIV but I think the PGA is bending over backwards to keep him as their spokesperson. Jay M. may have messed that up with Rory and the rest of the PGA players.

Apr 16, 2024, 11:31 AM

I've got more respect for the golfers who just went ahead and took the money than those who pretended to be morally superior and then caved.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 16, 2024, 11:45 AM

Yep I feel the same.

I’m just a traditionalist and believe I would miss playing the courses the PGA regularly plays. Also a lot bigger fan base. Traditionally a golf tournament has been 72 holes with a cut. Just old school I guess. Tried to watch it one afternoon but lost interest very quickly. A lot of guys I had never really heard of and they were way over par. Not sure Rahm or Koepka needed any more money but I’m guessing I was wrong.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Apr 16, 2024, 11:52 AM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
He's gone...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 16, 2024, 11:55 AM

My snob brother hates the LIV but I'm all for it. But I play at Pickens Golf Club so...

Apr 16, 2024, 11:57 AM

https://twitter.com/GolfCentral/status/1780262693045150050

Apr 16, 2024, 12:05 PM

That's at least the 3rd time he has denied the rumors. LIV has never denied the rumors.

Apr 16, 2024, 12:51 PM

What Rory said is probably true. He has never personally spoken to LIV and he has never personally received an offer. However, all of thse star golfers and sports figures have agents, accountants, lawyers, etc who handle all of their business deals. They don't personally deal face to face with the offers or negotiate face to face with LIV. That is handled by agents and contract lawyers who go over it with the player and when the agent and lawyer arrive at
The best deal they can get, they present the final deal to player who signs or rejects the deal.

So, a player, a coach, etc can truthfully say they have not been offered a deal and are going nowhere. They don't say my agent or anyone representing me has not been talking to LIV.

ANYHOW, maybe Rory will never join LIV. BUT, I suspect years from now he will regret turning down that kind of money.

Apr 16, 2024, 1:04 PM

Why? Why would he regret it? How much do you need? You think Rory doesn't have enough already where he could sit back for the rest of his days? He can pick and choose any tournament he wants to play in now. He can play in the minimum number of tournaments to maintain his status on the PGA and live a life most of us can only dream about. Adding several more zeros I don't think would change that.

As for LIV, I don't care how much money is being thrown around, it's unsustainable. The product has not earned the market and sooner or later nobody will care enough to warrant it.

Apr 16, 2024, 1:49 PM

As long as the LIV players fulfill the terms of the contract, they get the money.

Maybe he won't regret turning down 800 million plus. However, at his age he is at the peak of his career which is not great. He barely made the cut at the Masters. He has missed cuts at other tournaments. I think his best days are behind him. Frankly, I think LIV IS crazy for offering him that kind of money.

One can always use more money to use it to help others. At least that is how I would use it.

Apr 16, 2024, 2:13 PM

Nicklaus won a Masters at Rory’s age + 11. Thus far, there is still no LIV Masters Champion.

Not arguing - there’s not really a point to argue. Just facts.

My opinion, which is worth nothing, is that he will remain PGA.

Apr 16, 2024, 3:01 PM

You're correct in that I don't really care what he does. Doesn't affect me in any way.

That sounds like a rumor started by LIV or someone sympathetic to the Saudi

Apr 16, 2024, 3:27 PM

efforts to sportswash their reputation after the murder of the journalist.

The gold diggers are causing viewership to fall in golf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 3:37 PM

For those saying Rory is past his prime, have you seen the man hit a golf ball?

He is the greatest of all time with the driver in his hand. He will have the distance to compete on the PGA Tour until he's in his 80's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 3:37 PM

Rory does not need more money so hopefully he will say no thanks. Something has to be worked out with this LIV/PGA nightmare.

Apr 16, 2024, 3:58 PM

He's estimated to be worth $170M. That's "generational money". I'm all for free market and him getting as much as he can but I can understand him deciding he doesn't need LIV. His family isn't being evicted or living on SNAP.

Apr 16, 2024, 3:58 PM

LIV is trying to break the PGA. There's no way they are making money. There strategy is to take all of the top players even if they are losing money. The LIV is unwatchable to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 4:20 PM

Would an liv winner ever be able to express that their identity is secure in the victory of the cross like Scottie Schefller did this past Sunday? Obviously they couldn't say it within Saudi Arabia for fear of arrest, imprisonment, or torture. Similarly if any of the golfers were ever to slip up and quote scripture, you know, how some athletes do, especially Phillipians 4:13, they could by law get 40 lashes.

lovely people!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL ... generational money? He already has that in spades. I think his net

Apr 16, 2024, 4:23 PM

worth is approaching $200M. You can't even spend the annual interest on that without trying really hard. His kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc, for many generations will never have to work and still be filthy rich. Even if some of them are brainless twats and try to waste their inheritance.

How much is enough? Not enough to sell out to those towel-head murdering scumbags. In a perfect world, they'd love to see his head on a pike. And mine and yours as well. But they will have undue influence as long as they can throw billions of dollars at folks. They can buy any and everything.

China too. Twenty years from now it will probably be the Beijing Cowboys vs Shanghai Packers on Monday Night Football. But hey, can't blame the franchise owners for selling out, right? This is America, and they made them an offer they couldn't refuse...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Apr 16, 2024, 4:57 PM

Those currency conversion rates make zero sense to me......1 Euro = 1.06 USD's in today's market...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 40
| visibility 2,601
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next