Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,801

Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment

Apr 18, 2024, 12:31 PM

As a Marketing/Branding person, I love seeing that, from a branding perspective, Clemson still appears to be in a strong position!

There is a reason why Clemson and FSU are the first two programs to have filed lawsuits while seeking to exit the ACC. Only teams with attractive options would take that action.

There is a reason why FSU, Clemson, UNC voted against adding “Calford” and SMU to the ACC. Again, it comes down to how attractive are a school's options.

Television execs (i.e., the people who determine how much money a TV network is willing to offer a conference) want teams that draw high viewership. Obviously, the higher the viewership, the more valuable the brand.

TV data between 2016-2023 tells a powerful story for Clemson. Only three teams not already in SEC or BIG ranked in the Top 20 in viewership over the last eight years: Clemson, FSU, and Notre Dame.

Clemson ranks #11:

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/status/1780587335765107157?t=ANfcokwbRwJwM-shWcBs7g&s=19

Clemson had a down season in 2023 (although many teams would kill for a 9-4 season). Even with a down season, Clemson still drew well.

Clemson was still Top 20 in 2023:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/SEC/2023/12/19/alabama-georgia-most-viewed-teams-college-football-season-2023-nielsen-ratings/71975148007/

Of course, how a team projects into the future matters as well. But, the problem with projections is that they are not real numbers: They might turn out to be accurate and they might not. That’s why real data tends to trump projected data.

And, that is why the BIG and/or SEC should find Clemson valuable. There are only a few teams left that offer substantive value. Clemson’s brand value – as shown by the viewership numbers - makes the Tigers attractive to TV execs. That should make Clemson attractive to conferences in conference realignment.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson: Academic Excellence! Athletic Excellence!

Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment

Apr 18, 2024, 1:29 PM

To me, this completely undercuts the argument that the SEC doesn't want Clemson because they already have this TV market "locked up" with South Carolina and Georgia. Adding Clemson would be a net positive for any conference as far as ratings go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 1:52 PM

That's not really the issue though. The issue is whether or not the revenue generated from the newly added team(s) exceeds the cost of splitting the money more ways.

Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment***

Apr 18, 2024, 1:53 PM

Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment***

Apr 18, 2024, 1:54 PM

Oopesy!

Apr 18, 2024, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment ]

Simple calculation - rank the football brands for the SEC and also for the B10, then add Clemson to both lists - if Clemson falls in the top half of those two lists, then they are a net benefit to the given conference.

IMO both Clemson and FSU rank in the top half of both of the P2 conferences (and that is using past results when those two schools were playing ACC schedules). If you took Clemson and had them play Auburn or TAMU's schedule, a 15 to 20% lift is not out of the question.

Apr 18, 2024, 3:12 PM

It's actually not that simple.

Apr 18, 2024, 9:19 PM

If your brand falls above the median for a conference, then your brand adds value to a conference.

But you're right, it's not that simple because the past ratings that would be used for this calculation are not representative of what future ratings would be when Clemson or FSU are playing better schedules.

Yes it does and realignment isnt over by a long shot.

Apr 20, 2024, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment ]

It’s all about grabbing the best out there, and that’s ND, Clemson, and FSU.

The ACC is dead. Conferences are not done realigning. But Tons of people watch us. We’re going to the SEC.

Apr 20, 2024, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Recent TV Data Showing Clemson's Brand Value in Conference Realignment ]

They have two teams in Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. That excuse sounds like it comes from the Gamecocks.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 18, 2024, 2:20 PM

Interesting. Big thanks for the share! 👍🏻

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

I have no idea how this will all end up.

Apr 18, 2024, 2:30 PM

But, I am convinced when it all shakes out Clemson and FSU will be seated at the adult table.

I have no idea of the back room talks between and amongst ESPN, Fox, SEC and B1G. But, reports are Sankey and Petitti are talking on a regular basis (more than once a week).

1. I don't think they are smack talking about how good their conference is and how bad the other conference is.

2. I don't think they are talking about where they can rent a big enough vrbo so their families can take a vacation together.

I think it is much more likely they are figuring out how to divide up the spoils from the defeated conferences.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no idea how this will all end up.

Apr 18, 2024, 6:32 PM

Sankey and Petitti are trying to figure out how to stop the super league from happening to save their jobs and seemingly infinite power over college sports

Apr 18, 2024, 6:25 PM

And that is why Clemson\FSU already have a landing spot. And that is why when they leave the conference, the ACC will no longer have a TV contract if they even exist. The networks know that w/o Clemson/FSU the ACC won't draw flies with the chit that is left. That is why ESPN has no intention of renewing the ACC contract which expires in 2027 .

I can see Clemson, FSU, UNC and ND GOING TO SEC OR BIG. The rest will not get enough eyes on the screen to pay for their taking up space in the conference.

W/O a TV contract, the ACC or any conference can not survive as a power 5.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 6:33 PM

Thank God this is happening now and not before 2012. We would be part of that chit you speak of. Timing is everything.

Look how far back the coots are! Ha!***

Apr 18, 2024, 6:31 PM

Come on, tell us how far the COOTS are!

Apr 18, 2024, 8:27 PM

I can’t see that far down the list. Ha..

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seesm to be a lot of Dead Beats in the SEC

Apr 18, 2024, 8:40 PM

I am looking at you SC and VANDY.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 8:59 PM

Thanks for the perspective and expertise. Really appreciate it.

Apr 20, 2024, 6:51 PM

How much of this is having the ACC Network as virtual-sub to ESPN and lack of big games?

Clemson vs who in-conference is a national audience game?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been saying it all along: ND, Clemson, and FSU are the

Apr 20, 2024, 10:24 PM

top 3 marketable teams in the race to realign.

Some people say things like UNC and UVa due to area. That’s not the way it works.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,801
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic