Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old Fitzgerald...for the whiskey geeks out there
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,401

Old Fitzgerald...for the whiskey geeks out there

Apr 24, 2024, 3:44 PM
Fitzgerald.jpg(48.4 K)

As a confessed geek, family and friends spent my birthday weekend in Bardstown, KY. Unbeknownst to us, Heaven Hill did a unicorn release we learned of while, well...sipping, cause that's what you do, when you aren't pouring your own bottle. We learned folks would begin lining up at 5:01PM last Friday night, for the 7:00AM opening. We drove through the parking lot at 9:30 that night and while there were plenty camping, it was clear they were the majority, or so we hoped. One of my crew wanted to camp...I wanted sleep...real sleep.

Upon parking in a field, we schlepped to the forming lines at 6:00AM Saturday. Can't say I'd experienced a brisk sunrise over rickhouses before, but it was a sparkling morning and the spirits (humankind) were quite pleasant. Full disclosure: I knew nothing of this bourbon, but decided it was a spectacle to join in with.

As we showed ID and given wristbands for our purchase, it was clear later arrivals could partake, so I did the honorable (and resourceful) thing and called Mrs. Salty to join in. :) I met her outside and rejoined the line.

No sooner had the initial sales begun than the postings on the whiskey secondary market were being made. $1100...$1500...$1999...for a $240.00 bottle! As you can see, I scored two...two friends each bought a bottle, too.

This marked only the third time the maroon VVS label was used for Old Fitzgerald. In the interest of the TL/DR crowd (of which even this poasting is too long!), I encourage you to read the history of the Heaven Hill/Bernheim/Old Fitzgerald story.

Were any fellow Tigers in the crowd with me? Suffice to say, this Tiger got lucky! But...will I even like it? :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old Fitzgerald...for the whiskey geeks out there

Apr 24, 2024, 3:48 PM

Nice. Hope it's good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2024, 4:44 PM

Tough bottle to get your hands on at msrp. Let alone two bottles. I am in a lottery now and hope to have a chance at Old Fitz and others by month end. Enjoy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it a state lottery, or

Apr 24, 2024, 5:00 PM

Through a local retailer?

Apr 24, 2024, 7:16 PM

Old Fitz is probably my favorite bourbon.
I have a red label (distillery-only) release also (16 years old).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

So you and I have two

Apr 24, 2024, 9:10 PM

Of the three releases they've done. The red label is VVS only. Parker Beam sampled shortly before his death in 2017 and advised this should be a special release, so they waited for the 25th anniversary. The stories and relationships within the industry are a big part of what I enjoy.

Cheers!

I've tried Old Fitz 3x

Apr 24, 2024, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Old Fitzgerald...for the whiskey geeks out there ]

and each time I get either a black Licorice or Anise tasting note on the back end (and I hate black licorice).

However, you have my favorite bottle: William Laure Weller. My lord, I think I'd give up my whole collection (85+ bottle) for 3-4 of those and 3-4 George T Stagg. LOL!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, it's pretty clear that

Apr 25, 2024, 10:13 AM

luckyj® is no novice given his collection! You notice he hid the Pappy 23?!? :)

Hmm...licorice. Having never tried any Old Fitz, not sure if this will have that profile or not. It was distilled in '99 for 13 years, then moved to the steel vat where it sat until Parker Beam sampled and encouraged a special release. Still it remained in the vat from '17 or so until being bottled. Heckuva story, for sure.

If it wasn't for Weller, I'm not sure Buffalo Trace would grab me. But Weller/Eagle Rare I keep multiple bottles on hand. :)

If any of you like scotch/single malt and are familiar with Stranahans out of Denver, give their Diamond Peak a try. It's aged in tequila (which I don't like) barrels and it blew me away. Granted, that's me, but holy hail...it was good different...very good different! (You've been warned...or teased!)

Re: Yeah, it's pretty clear that

Apr 25, 2024, 12:59 PM

Well, no PVW 23, but I currently have a PVW 15 among my ~60 bottles. I had a WLW a few years ago that was my favorite bottle of bourbon ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lucky Johnson

Your collection is like recruiting rankings!

Apr 25, 2024, 2:30 PM

:)
I probably have more bottles...but you have more 4 and 5 stars!!!

He's like Bama & UGA the last 5-7 years. Tons of 5 stars.

Apr 25, 2024, 4:03 PM

I'm like you, more 3 & 4 stars. LOL!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's like Bama & UGA the last 5-7 years. Tons of 5 stars.

Apr 25, 2024, 4:32 PM

Virginia ABC is years behind.

1792 single barrel and barrel proof were just recently made available on a limited/temporary basis.

2XO is a special order (takes forever to get I hear).

Penelope The Architect is not available in most stores.

For most everything else in the photo, you're more likely to spot a unicorn than getting your hands on a bottle in Virginia.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

I grew up in VA

Apr 26, 2024, 1:19 AM

and my poor younger brothers, family and friends are always amazed at what I get my hands one with ease. I've taken so many bottles of Buffalo Trace back to them b/c they think is the hardest thing ever to find. They have no idea what else exists...

Meanwhile, I'm in Chattanooga Tn, and travel all over Tenn and Ga and stop at lots of places and see so much more to buy.

People in Va are getting royally screwed and have no idea.

Apr 25, 2024, 4:54 PM [ in reply to He's like Bama & UGA the last 5-7 years. Tons of 5 stars. ]

TigerCC®, that's a legit collection right there!

InspectorM®, the ABC states drive me up the wall. South Carolina is horrid...fortunately, I'm in Georgia regularly and there are a few decent stores. Nothing beats Kentucky...or visiting distillers, wherever they are.

I'm reorganizing my stash...will drop a pic or two later...and some of the various distilleries we hit in Bardstown.

By the way...can't help but chuckle at the kosher Buffalo Trace. Doesn't help at Passover, but you can stare at the bottle and dream of Passover's end! :) Meanwhile, matzoh and bitter herbs, with a dash of heaven in the form of matzoh ball soup! Major yum!!

Message was edited by: Salty55®

Apr 25, 2024, 6:50 PM [ in reply to He's like Bama & UGA the last 5-7 years. Tons of 5 stars. ]

Nice juice collection you have. I had poured this a little earlier and sent the pic to my bourbon circle.

Lucky Johnson

Hard to go wrong with the Colonel as well

Apr 25, 2024, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, it's pretty clear that ]

I am enjoying some Batch 10 right now. About to finish it, so will be on the prowl for some more. William Larue Weller is one of my favorites as well.

Those are some very nice bottles.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 24, 2024, 10:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this story with us. As much as I would love to be a more experienced whiskey enthusiast, I have just two years under my belt, and a long way to go before reaching the whiskey geek rank.

I'm glad you topped off your trip with two rare Old Fitz bottles in hand. Let us know what you think.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Awesome Story

Apr 24, 2024, 11:34 PM

Thanks for sharing!!

It so rare when you get to experience something like that

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,401
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next