Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hardest thing to do in all of sports.....
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1,751

Hardest thing to do in all of sports.....

May 5, 2024, 11:45 PM

Since we are all excited about Sierra Leone, I am going to ask everyone what do they think is the hardest thing to do in sports?

I am going to make an argument for winning the Triple Crown in horse racing.

You only get one shot at it.... horse has to be 3 years old (which is still a baby)
You have 3 races in 5 weeks, at distances they have never done before in 3 different states.
The Derby is 1.25 miles, the Preakness is 1 3/16th of a mile, and the Belmont is 1.5 miles (longer than they ever will run again).
Only 13 horses have ever won the triple crown, last being Justify in 2018

The hardest thing about the Belmont (besides being the longest race they have ever ran or will ever run again in their life) is the New York Racing Commission does not allow the racehorses to get a shot of Lasix before the race. Racehorses run so hard that some horses literally pop the capillaries in their lungs and you can see blood dripping out of their nose and are called "bleeders". If your lungs are partially filled with blood, less oxygen is able to be transferred at the alveolar level and makes it that much harder to run.
To combat this, race horses are given a shot of Lasix (a diuretic aka "water pill") which makes them urinate large volumes of water and essentially dehydrates them, reducing their blood volume and the pressure in their pulmonary capillaries during the race. Lasix is commonly given to humans with hypertension and congestive heart failure to lower the volume of blood in their circulatory system. Not being able to get the shot of Lasix is a huge game changer for horses that haven't ran in New York before. The downside of being dehydrated and running harder than you ever have in your life is racehorses are much more susceptible to heat stroke.

Exercise-Induced Pulmonary Hemorrhage is what it is called:
https://cales.arizona.edu/classes/ans142/readings/causesofbleeding.htm#:~:text=Exercise%2Dinduced%20pulmonary%20hemorrhage%20(EIPH,Quarter%20Horses%2C%20Standardbreds%20and%20Thoroughbreds.

Message was edited by: bobbyb99®

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unassisted triple play

May 6, 2024, 12:05 AM

only been 15 in MLB history, the last one in 2009. Even more rare than a perfect game with 24 in MLB history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unassisted triple play

May 6, 2024, 12:08 AM

I was going to say triple crown winners has happened less, but literally every single time you have two men on in baseball, across all MLB teams, all games, the frequency is much less for the unassisted triple play that the 150 or so times the triple crown has been run.

Statistically, you are correct it is much harder.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Difficulty lies more with...

May 6, 2024, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Unassisted triple play ]

the intricacies of the situation required to achieve the UATP and a "friendly" batter. The point the OP made about having 1 shot to do it (3 years of age), 3 events with different locations, and lengths over a 5 week time frame clinches his argument-

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hardest thing to do in all of sports.....

May 6, 2024, 12:09 AM

Winning all 4 majors of the Grand Slam in Golf in the same season,not do it over a period of time (Masters,PGA Championship,United State Open and British Open)

May 6, 2024, 12:17 AM

That hasn't been done.... you are correct. Google said Bobby Jones did it in 1930, but it was the British Amateur, the British Open, the United States Open, and the United States Amateur.

You are correct statistically since it hasn't happened.

May 6, 2024, 12:35 AM

Hard to believe that there has only been 5 Golfers in history to win the Career Grand Slam,that's a hard accomplishment to pull off too... https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/players-won-golf-grand-slam-154520

I would include doing it over a career.

May 6, 2024, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Hardest thing to do in all of sports..... ]

Arnold Palmer, Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and a bunch of other great golfers haven't done it.

And, how about winning the "double grand slam"? (Each major twice?)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Think Your Base Olympic Sports Are Hard ---

May 6, 2024, 12:17 AM

Shot Put
Pole Vaulting
High Jumping
Gymnastics

May 6, 2024, 1:48 AM

Not a fan of your analogy as hardest accomplishment in sports. Multiple drivers could win the Indy race if they drove the same car. Some Nascar drivers may have won races if they drove Danica Patricks car. Basically similar analogies. I agree with like the golf analogy or like a 9 inning No Hitter. Compare the number of opportunities to pitch 9 inning No Hitter annually vs 1 opportunity annually to get the crowns. Whats the stats, 13 triple crowns in 150yrs, and 330 No Hitters in 160yrs but 32 teams have 162 opportunities a year vs 1 chance total annually. As a sport, the odds to get a No Hitter is much more difficult than a Triple crown.

Just another example, no one has the number of Golds that Michael Phelps, is that more difficult than a Triple Crown when Olympics go back to Roman times?

I can appreciate the nostalgia of the Triple Crown but there are feats that are more difficult and they are person specific. Just saying.

I would have to say being a Gamecock football fan

May 6, 2024, 6:01 AM

Must be hard for all of them.

Sam Snead explains it this way.

May 6, 2024, 8:24 AM

He was told that Ted Williams said that hitting a fast ball was the most difficult thing to do in all of sports.

Snead replied, "Yeah, but when I hit a foul ball I've got to go find it and hit it again."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I say having a long undefeated career as a professional boxer has to be right up

May 6, 2024, 8:34 AM

there. Only Rocky Marciano ever did it.

As far as team sports, winning three straight Super Bowls would be up there as well, since no one has ever done it. Several have tried, with the Patriots having their undefeated season ruined by Eli Manning and the Giants being the closest to doing it.

Only ONE team has ever been to FOUR straight Super Bowls, and they have the dubious distinction of losing all four. They are, of course, the Jim Kelly led Buffalo Bills. Those were some great teams, but they just could not get over that final hump. Their very first loss had to be the hardest to take, as they would have won the game had their kicker not missed an easy field goal at the end.

Winning the modern Grand Slam in golf has also never been done. Tiger Woods came as close as anyone ever has, actually holding all four major titles at once. But, he did not do it in the same calendar year. He won the last three, the US Open, Open Championship, and the PGA in 2000, and then won the Masters in 2001. They called it "The Tiger Slam". Even if it was not rightly The Grand Slam, it was still something no one else ever did, or will probably ever do again.

Greg Norman actually had the lead after three rounds in all four majors in 1986, but only wound up winning one of them. He needed a birdie to beat Jack Nicklaus on the last hole at The Masters, and bogeyed it instead to lose by a shot. He blew up on the final day at the US Open with a 75, falling all the way to sixth place. He won The Open Championship in dominating fashion, taking it by five shots. But at the PGA Championship, his string of hard luck losses began in earnest, when Bob Tway blasted in from a greenside bunker on the last hole to beat him by a single shot. Those types of losses probably have a lot to do with the fact that he is working so hard to destroy the PGA Tour right now, via LIV Golf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Floyd Mayweather also did it. 50-0***

May 6, 2024, 10:46 AM

Correct, I should have said Marciano was the only Heavyweight to do it. I don't

May 6, 2024, 2:48 PM

know about the other weight divisions that much.

Re: Floyd Mayweather also did it. 50-0***

May 6, 2024, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Floyd Mayweather also did it. 50-0*** ]

Never fought anyone of consequence in their prime and stays on his bike running & point boxing-

Re: I say having a long undefeated career as a professional boxer has to be right up

May 6, 2024, 9:02 PM [ in reply to I say having a long undefeated career as a professional boxer has to be right up ]

Lost to the Redskins, Cowboys, and 49ers if my memory serves me correctly.... AFC was really down at that time and after Doug Williams won it with the Redskins, it was Cowboys/49ers changing blows.

I know all about those Dallas Cowboys b/c I was a Vikings fan. Worst trade in the history of sports was the Vikings giving away the world to Dallas for Herschel Walker. Thanks to that trade, they drafted Aikman, Smith, Novacek, Johnston and Irving. Walker lasted three years maybe and was hurt half the time.

May 6, 2024, 8:39 AM

Several horses have won the Derby and then skipped the next race. Economically it makes sense more and more I would assume. Win the Derby then retire and put the horse out for breeding. Get your ROI.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2024, 9:31 AM

Started with a perfect game, then saw someone post that the unassisted triple play is rarer. But I think the hardest thing to do in all sports is break DiMaggio's hitting streak record.

Bull feathers!

May 6, 2024, 9:33 AM

Horse racing isn’t a sport

May 6, 2024, 9:38 AM

Shoot, I was gonna say it was DJ hitting the broad side of a barn with a pass.

May 6, 2024, 10:40 AM

Without a doubt it's having a horse that wins the Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont. All 3 races are done in something like a 5-6 week period for all 3 races with each races the distance gets a little longer. Now that is almost impossible to do with the same horse...

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win a Football National Championship at South Carolina!

May 6, 2024, 10:46 AM

You all know that this is the correct answer!!

May 6, 2024, 10:56 AM

Winning tour de France

May 6, 2024, 11:35 AM

Not hardest, just very rare:
1. Golf; an albatross.
2. Boxing; LOSING 5 heavyweight
championship bouts. Jersey
Joe Walcott. dayuum Joe

May 6, 2024, 12:26 PM

For University of South Carolina to win a National Championship in Football.

May 6, 2024, 5:08 PM

The hardest thing to do is for the announcer and color man to "shut up and let the crowd noise talk" after a huge game-ending play in about any sport. That "lull" of maybe 20 seconds is only done by the super high professionals like Vin Scully and I noticed Sean McDonough and his cohort did it the other night when the Bruins scored the winner in game 7 on Boston. Our announcers for Clemson can't and don't do it, they start babbling immediately. As do most.

May 6, 2024, 7:40 PM

As to athletic skills I would say hitting a baseball. Probably the only sport where you can be successful 30% of the time and wind up in the hall of fame.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1,751
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic