Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson and the portal
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 6,101

Clemson and the portal

Apr 22, 2024, 1:51 PM

Ok, I have been away from the board for a few days but it's time to catch up. First off, I saw where someone had questions about Elijah Herring, the former Tennessee LB. He is visiting Colorado and a few other places, and I know that ESPN wrote something about Clemson as a possible destination. I don't see it. I heard that Coach Swinney, during a meeting with other campus coaches last week, talked at length about the portal. If he uses it to find someone, it will have to be the right fit and my guess is it will come with conditions.

Now, about Adam Kissayi and Zack Owens. Not shocked by either. I felt like Kissayi was a bit of a reach to begin with, and I am not sure he was the right fit here. As for Owens, I had been hearing that there was a lack of accountability on his end. A lot of boxes he had to check that weren't checked.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are there any indications at all

Apr 22, 2024, 1:55 PM

that Clemson is seriously looking to add anyone in this portal window?

We have three open slots if my math is correct, we can't continue to spot these scholarships to other programs around the nation and continually be the youngest team in the country.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are there any indications at all

Apr 22, 2024, 1:57 PM

We all know the answer to that question

Apr 22, 2024, 2:26 PM

Last year we dished out the most offers in the portal since it has been a thing. Just because we aren't shopping in there doesn't mean there aren't efforts being made

No we didn't.***

Apr 23, 2024, 9:32 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrong***

Apr 23, 2024, 10:21 AM

We made 2 offers. The same amount we made in 2023.

Apr 23, 2024, 10:36 AM

Let's not pretend we've been dishing out all these offers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2024, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Are there any indications at all ]

You know the answer and it's no...The open schollys will go to the undersized white boy walk ons they will NEVER have an impact to the team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Apr 22, 2024, 5:16 PM

hopefully there's a coach's son that needs a free ride

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard that new coaches Luke and Rumph have shown

some tough love and may have even had conversations to some about it would be okay for them to look elsewhere.

Re: Clemson and the portal

Can you elaborate on what these "conditions" might be?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a guess but probably not willing to match

Apr 22, 2024, 1:56 PM

offers from other schools.

Apr 22, 2024, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson and the portal ]

probably something with his body composition

Apr 22, 2024, 3:43 PM

He was talking about the conditions that Dabo stated with the portal. Not about the players.

What I'd like to know is what "other campus coaches " means? Is David saying other Clemson programs coaches? Because all of our other sports teams utilize the portal quite a bit. Surely he's not suggesting to Brad Brownell to not use the portal... hope not or we wouldn't have made the tournament. I'm confused by that wording.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2024, 5:01 PM

We almost always have a group of coaches come in every year from other schools to see how Clemson program is run and Dabo spends time with them. Dabo has often travelled to other schools for a similar experience. I remember Shaw with Stanford traded trips with Dabo and I recall him going to Nevada to learn the pistol position a little better and a SMU trip. These trips are not going to be with direct competition obviously but coaches do network and share ideas.

Apr 23, 2024, 9:31 AM

Thanks bigbass. I was confused on the wording and campus coaches as in the Clemson campus.

Understand now.

TigerBigBass

Apr 22, 2024, 2:01 PM

I’m assuming Dabos thought is he and his coaching staff are so effective at developing high school talent that the portal is not needed at Clemson

No, thats not it. Getting the right fit is it.

Apr 22, 2024, 2:52 PM

We have offered several kids the last two or three seasons, but we play a strict game in the portal. Don’t come to Clemson looking for a handout and don’t come here assuming you’re a starter.

The staff would rather bring a new player into the system who is open for development and earning a spot. We’ve missed on a couple and didn’t go hard after a couple because of expected handouts and/or requiring an instant, non-earned starting role.

Apr 22, 2024, 2:13 PM

I think the key part of David’s comments is …..

“If he uses it to find someone, it will have to be the right fit”

Apr 22, 2024, 2:18 PM

Let's be honest, we all know that Dabo is going to reward 4 walk-ons with scholarships.

Apr 22, 2024, 3:52 PM

Let's be honest, we all know that Dabo is going to reward 4 walk-ons with scholarships.

This 100% Daniel High benefits

Clemson has shown......

Apr 22, 2024, 2:28 PM

that it does not bat 1000%. NO one does. Not every kid is going to develop for various reasons (injury, lack of buy-in, homesickness, not talented enough, etc......).

I've been on record saying we should copy BAMA and UGA and use portal sparingly (± 3 or so yearly) to fill unavoidable holes.....b/c EVERYONE is going to have holes....including Clemson. Vast majority should come from HS ranks. Tweaks is all we need..

However, if we never use the portal, we will be always younger than most teams. And we will have more depth issues when injuries arise. JMO, we are handicapping ourselves for no reason. None. I think eventually, as I've been lead to believe, we are going to acquiesce a bit on the portal...just like we have in other areas (summer OV, etc....)--but it seems we haven't quite got there yet. Like Summer OV, maybe we need to get burned a bit more. IMO, it doesn't have to be this way. Slight tweaks is all that is needed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this^^^ - 100%. 18-year-olds cannot consistently beat 23-year-olds.

Apr 22, 2024, 4:43 PM

We need football players, not Boy Scouts.

And IF we go to to the SEC, we will never compete at the highest levels.

I don't like it but it is where we are with college sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ikr.

Apr 23, 2024, 10:22 AM

Tons of talented 23 year olds waiting on offers.

Two guys who were projects...

Apr 22, 2024, 2:28 PM

that didn't work out. Agree that the Kissayi offer was a head-scratcher from the beginning. I was hoping Owens could hit his weight targets and contribute, but the transfer decision tells that story.

I hope Dabo uses the portal. We have the resources in place for him to do so.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Projects...

Apr 22, 2024, 2:31 PM

Should be a rarity @ CLEM. I get he allure and satisfaction of grooming a kid like Renfrow and seeing him excel. Such a rarity though statistically speaking....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Projects...

Apr 22, 2024, 2:46 PM

We've had projects that have worked out in the past. However, most of them panned out before the transfer portal existed. It's so easy for a young person to just leave. It was always risky signing projects, but now that risk has skyrocketed thanks to the portal.

It's funny.......they're always "projects" or "reaches" AFTER they leave....

Apr 22, 2024, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Two guys who were projects... ]

not disagreeing they were projects/reaches/late desperate offers, but there are more just like that currently on scholarship, but nobody that wears Orange glasses talks about them like that b/c they think if the coaches offered them a schollie, then they're automatically BEST IS THE STANDARD.

Whats funny about it?

Apr 22, 2024, 4:16 PM

Not disparaging them but by “projects”, I meant they would require significant development in a key area outside of learning technique before they can contribute. For Owens it was weight management and conditioning. For Kassayi it was improving strength and adding good weight.

I know exactly what you meant, but using "projects" or "reaches".....

Apr 22, 2024, 4:37 PM

while they're here is looked down upon.....that's the funny part.

We have projects and reaches still on scholarship, that probably won't pan out to anything of significance, but heaven forbid you say it on the board.

similar to when a recruit decommits and all the "well, we didn't need/want him anyways" come out.

Re: It's funny.......they're always "projects" or "reaches" AFTER they leave....

Apr 22, 2024, 7:26 PM [ in reply to It's funny.......they're always "projects" or "reaches" AFTER they leave.... ]

Yeah. There will always be a gap between the PR we see about these players, compared to how they adjust to the game at the college level. Attitude and commitment are also key.

Message was edited by: 7Tiger7®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2024, 2:43 PM

If we don’t go get a quarterback, then we are completely screwed no doubt. We have no QB

Apr 22, 2024, 2:48 PM

I believe Dabos made the decision to go with who we got in that area and I guess he believes we can win a national championship with Cade

Apr 22, 2024, 3:53 PM

Not worried abt Cade...I'm worried abt depth. Need one more guy--a guy that will be given opp to push Cade. Thats not happening with TP---who has done a great job imo.

Granted, hard to find a guy who will come and not be guaranteed a starting slot.......but we are in trouble if Cade goes down.

Apr 22, 2024, 4:21 PM

Getting someone to push Cade is a waste. He doesn’t need to be pushed. He needs to be replaced. We tried him. It’s not working. Transfer out. Let’s get someone else in. That’s how it works

Apr 22, 2024, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson and the portal ]

He thought that about DJ too…

Apr 22, 2024, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson and the portal ]

Malik Murphy went from TX to Duke.. That kid can Ball. You gonna tell me we couldn't have gotten this kid? Don't get me wrong. I REALLY l Iike Cade as a Kid and hope he's the player we hope he is. But dang, Murphy is GOOD.

Apr 23, 2024, 7:05 AM

We could’ve at least tried. Dabo is riding with Cade and the vehicle is going off the cliff. Dabo has lost it. He made a good hire with Luke but he hasn’t come around all the way. He’s still loyal to his players to a fault. It’s costing this program

As always

Apr 22, 2024, 4:28 PM

Thanks David for keeping us informed.

Apr 22, 2024, 7:08 PM

A lot of transfers pass because they have to meet certain requirements. I get it that you want them to fit into the culture, but other schools are throwing NIL deals and promising starting positions. It’s just not that enticing for most of these kids. We end up missing on the ones we do show some interest in. I just think the process is too slow to make anything happen.

I’ll believe it when I see it for when Dabo goes into the portal other than to pick up a grad assistant who could be a 4th string QB.

Apr 22, 2024, 8:00 PM

Kassayi is simply not a D1 football player. Maybe 3 years from now but no time soon.

Surprise surprise. No activity in acquiring portal transfers.

Apr 23, 2024, 5:56 AM

We went through the entire spring and didn’t feel like we needed anything?
Okay. That’s fine but I don’t want to hear anything from the coaches when we get in to fall camp and the seasons.

Go Tigers!

Dabos excuse will be: Were a young team

Apr 23, 2024, 9:43 AM

“Got some growing up to do”; “We’ll be fine”

Wash and repeat.

We're so unique that we are literally the only program in the country

Apr 23, 2024, 9:45 AM

that can't find a 1 in 4000 players per year in the portal that's the "right fit".

Replies: 43
| visibility 6,101
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic