Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do people automatically assume
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Why do people automatically assume

Mar 29, 2010, 11:41 AM

that our AD and president "don't care" about a sport simply because a high profile coach wasn't hired? Has it ever occurred to you that they would have spent more money on a coach if it were available? They didn't, so it's obviously not. This might come as a shock to some, but there is a limited pool of money available to spend on athletics at Clemson. This is why they have a budget, and are often forced to make sacrifices in one area to benefit another.

To those of you complaining about our lack of commitment to women's basketball: would you prefer that we spend more on women's basketball instead of:

-Paying Dabo and his staff raises to keep their salaries competitive and reward them for progress made?
-Paying Oliver Purnell more because of his success?
-Facility upgrades to the West End Zone, Doug Kingsmore Stadium, etc.?

It gets really old to see people continually whine about hires and complain that our administration doesn't care about certain sports. Although such a simplistic explanation might be easier for you, start thinking about how you would spend the athletic department's money. My guess is that most of you would be very irritated if we took money from football and used it for a women's basketball coach, or a soccer coach, or a swimming coach. We would all like to be the best in everything, but that isn't possible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

they could get rid of womens hoops all together for all I

Mar 29, 2010, 11:43 AM

care

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't know we still had a team***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We haven't had one in about 5 years.***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And replace it with?***

Mar 29, 2010, 12:48 PM [ in reply to they could get rid of womens hoops all together for all I ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

which came first?

Mar 29, 2010, 11:46 AM

the fans whinning about lack of money or the school whinning about lack of money? Plenty of blame to go around on that.

Meanwhile here we sit. No decent indoor fb practice facility and no retractable dome on the baseball field. You know if we could hold a decent "pro day" we'd get more guys in the NFL and get more contributions from rich athletes for the school.

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

retractable dome? seriously?***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:55 AM

Re: retractable dome? seriously? see bottom of post

Mar 29, 2010, 12:07 PM

you have to ask after the smiley face?? Seriously??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do people automatically assume

Mar 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

"This might come as a shock to some, but there is a limited pool of money available to spend on athletics at Clemson. This is why they have a budget, and are often forced to make sacrifices in one area to benefit another."

tell that to the people the ath dept rapes annually for football parking/seat license fees/iptay dues/increased ticket prices etc etc etc etc and it largely will fall on deaf ears.

tdp has built a rep for Clemson as the place an asst coach with no rep can run an acc team if they are willing to work cheap.

i'm getting my resume ready to be next swim coach at

Mar 29, 2010, 11:52 AM

Clemson... I can swim, so that should qualify me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not going to debate IPTAY dues or ticket prices.

Mar 29, 2010, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do people automatically assume ]

That's not the point. The point is that we have limited funds, just as every other athletic department does. Some have more than we do, many more have less. But based on what we have, we must prioritize. Do you suggest that we prioritize differently?

As for this quote from you:

tdp has built a rep for Clemson as the place an asst coach with no rep can run an acc team if they are willing to work cheap.

He has not earned that rep. Aside from Dabo, and now our new women's basketball coach, who has TDP hired that was an unproven assistant? Purnell was extremely respected as a head coach when TDP hired him. The new soccer coach has done very well as a head coach at previous stops, most recently at Brown. And although she didn't do well at Clemson, Christy McKinney had been a successful head coach at Rice before we hired her.

By the way, I think Dabo has proven to be an excellent hire. We obviously need to see how the next few years play out, but early indications are that TDP made a great choice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Last year does not prove he made a great choice

Mar 29, 2010, 12:20 PM

As you said it will play out. To me last year proved there is the potential he made a great choice assuming we can get over the hump.

It is all moot if Davbo is very succesful and Saban bolts for another job again (as he does every few years). The Dabo will surely return to Bama as HC (this is here to rile up those who always fear losing a successful CU coach)

:)

Carey Green got shafted in this deal

Mar 29, 2010, 12:19 PM

Sexism and Racism were the drivers in this hiring today.

Compare Carey Green and Coach Coleman.

Money has NOTHING to do with it. Barbara Kennedy Dixon and Terry Don Phillips have mastered the art of Reverse Racism and Reverse Sexism with this hire. And by the way....the same thing happened in 2005 when we hired McKinney. Green was turned down for McKinney. How did that work out for us?????

GO LOOK AT THE 2 RESUMES AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY OTHER EXPLANATION.

Green:
http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10867&CoachID=317&TeamID=7

Coleman:
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/coleman_itoro00.html

Give me the Clemson grad....give her a shot.***

Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Give me the Clemson grad....give her a shot.***

Mar 29, 2010, 12:29 PM

I think she has her shot now and it will be interesting to see what she does with it.

Re: Give me the Clemson grad....give her a shot.***

Mar 29, 2010, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Give me the Clemson grad....give her a shot.*** ]

Agree. Clemson grad, great recruiter, end of story.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carey Green would have been a better hire IMO***

Mar 29, 2010, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Carey Green got shafted in this deal ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

My issue is that he hires people with NO head coaching

Mar 29, 2010, 12:25 PM

experience at all.

He could hire a candidate for a smaller salary that has been a head coach at a lower level before.

This is two rececnt hires of coaches with no coaching experience. You do that at Furman or Wofford - not Clemson.

That's just stupid.Those coaches wouldn't be where they

Mar 29, 2010, 12:32 PM

are if someone didn't give them their 1st shot.

Let Wofford give them their shot - then we can hire

Mar 29, 2010, 12:38 PM

someone based on a proven track record.

Re: That's just stupid.Those coaches wouldn't be where they

Mar 29, 2010, 7:37 PM [ in reply to That's just stupid.Those coaches wouldn't be where they ]

Bingo. I think that is very hard for some people to understand.

Other than Dabo and now Umoh, who has TDP hired with

Mar 29, 2010, 12:39 PM [ in reply to My issue is that he hires people with NO head coaching ]

no head coaching experience? Purnell, our new men's soccer coach, our last women's basketball coach, etc. were all successful head coaches before coming to Clemson.

Dabo did well his first year, and although we will see how it plays out, early indications are that he will prove to be a great hire. Hopefully Umoh will prove to be a good one too.

Are we big time or not - two of last three hires says we are

Mar 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

not a big time program.

It is a huge risk to hire someone with no experience. Let another lesser school do that. We need to hire experience.

TDP hired them both to save $$$ - we all know it.

Of course they were about money. That is precisely my point!

Mar 29, 2010, 1:04 PM

It's not because TDP and/or Barker don't care about athletics. It's because of money.

we could spend same amount of $$$ and get some experience***

Mar 29, 2010, 1:18 PM

Re: Are we big time or not - two of last three hires says we are

Mar 29, 2010, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Are we big time or not - two of last three hires says we are ]

Well, we could have gone after Saban, Coach K and the women's coach at Connecticut but something tells me they would not have come to Clemson.

why do you assume we couldn't hire a hc coach

Mar 29, 2010, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Other than Dabo and now Umoh, who has TDP hired with ]

from a smaller school for the same amount of money we're paying her?

Why do we have to hire a person who's only experience is being an assistant under 2 of the worst coaches in the country?

If she didn't play here, no way she even get a response back from her resume.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you think the last two WBB hires were good decisions?***

Mar 29, 2010, 12:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I think we could have done better with both. But we

Mar 29, 2010, 1:07 PM

would have had to spend more money - money we don't have. It seems that any additional money we spent on women's basketball would be at the expense of a larger sport, and I'm not willing to do that.

What makes you think that?***

Mar 29, 2010, 1:13 PM

I'm assuming we hired the best we could get for the money

Mar 29, 2010, 1:20 PM

we were willing to spend. So if we didn't get someone better, it is either because they expected more than we were willing to pay or didn't want to coach at Clemson. But maybe I'm giving TDP too much credit. I just think it's silly to assume that he would not try to get the best coach we could. It's in his best interest for the women's basketball program to be successful.

I might agree with you if not for the fact.....

Mar 29, 2010, 1:44 PM

that last time around, replacing the womens basketball coach was so low on TDP's list of priorities that he didn't even bother to conduct the search and interviews himself. Instead, he assigned the task to two of his subordinates neither of whom had any prior experience in interviewing and/or hiring head coaches.

So many on here defend TDP to the death...

Mar 29, 2010, 1:59 PM

Always confuses me.

"He could not possibly have made the wrong hire and here are twenty excuses why"

You can thank Title IX***

Mar 29, 2010, 1:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We aren't going to have a larger budget until we have more..

Mar 29, 2010, 1:08 PM

success. And we aren't going to have more success until we are willing to spend more money on great coaches. Call it an investment.

Invest with money we don't have?

Mar 29, 2010, 1:14 PM

I would love to have more money as an athletic department, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

The best ways to increase the athletic department budget are to increase corporate sponsorship (advertising space, naming rights, etc.) or bring in more from donors. People already complain about IPTAY dues, and there would be rioting in the streets if we gave a corporation naming rights for Memorial Stadium. So what do you propose we do?

So, why can't we be competitive in every major sport?

Mar 29, 2010, 1:11 PM

UT (tennessee, that is) competes in the SEC east annually, made the Elite 8 this year and women's hoops always in the top 5. Baseball, another matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

How many alumni do they have? I'm guessing far more than

Mar 29, 2010, 1:18 PM

we do. They also have a law school in Knoxville and a medical school in Memphis - two things we don't have at Clemson. And I'm guessing much of TigerNet who is so against the Top 20 initiative would croak if Barker said he wants to start a law or medical school at Clemson.

They also have a great football tradition, and routinely fill their 100,000+ seat stadium. Those extra 20-25K tickets they sell add a lot to their athletic department budget.

They had a good year in men's basketball, but I think we are just as committed to men's basketball as they are.

Their women's basketball program has been outstanding for years. No way we can compete with that.

Re: How many alumni do they have? I'm guessing far more than

Mar 29, 2010, 1:48 PM

They are a much larger school, I'll give you that. Seems to me, though, we could be more competitive in women's hoops if we wanted to. Not that I care that much, but we could make it happen if the commitment were there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Yes! It's all about the football attendance

Mar 29, 2010, 7:31 PM [ in reply to How many alumni do they have? I'm guessing far more than ]

So then we compare to a school like Georgia Tech. Same number of students. Same conference. Same recruiting territory. But wait, we average 75k attendance vs. their 50k. If Tennessee's 20k extra tickets are worth so much, how much are our 25k extra tickets worth?

You do realize we have the highest average attendance in the ACC, right?

I agree that we have budget coaches

Mar 29, 2010, 7:02 PM

It's obvious we hired the cheapest person we could find for football. And you get what you pay for. I'm glad you are finally coming around to admitting that our coaches aren't worth much. This is a big step for you Keller.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic