Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TB raised a good point about clemson at the greensboro
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 2,074

TB raised a good point about clemson at the greensboro

Apr 17, 2006, 4:47 PM

IPTAY meeting, and i'm sure everywhere else he has spoken...clemson has no med school, no law school, no vet school, no pharmacy school, etc., etc., and yet we still manage to do pretty well in raising funds for athletic scholarships. many of the schools we're competing against have these types of programs and the implication is that they have wealthier alum. he was giving "props" to clemson's "blue collar" alum for giving what we give.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

uhhh, having blue collar alumni is nothing to be proud of***

Apr 17, 2006, 4:51 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?***

Apr 17, 2006, 4:54 PM

first of all, i think you're wrong. second of all, in the

Apr 17, 2006, 4:55 PM [ in reply to uhhh, having blue collar alumni is nothing to be proud of*** ]

context in which he was using it, i think it's something to be extremely proud of.

FAT TAX NOW!

Really?? My Grandfather, who happened to be a dirt farmer

Apr 17, 2006, 4:57 PM [ in reply to uhhh, having blue collar alumni is nothing to be proud of*** ]

might not agree. Maybe you should eat some plastics for supper.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh? "Blue collar" is just a term that is being used

Apr 17, 2006, 5:15 PM [ in reply to uhhh, having blue collar alumni is nothing to be proud of*** ]

loosely to include those that are not doctors or lawyers! The vast majority of Clemson alumni are professionals working "white collar" jobs. Engineers, architects, accountants, business/financial careers, educators (such as myself), etc. are just a part of the Clemson alumni family being included with the "blue collar" term, and speaking for myself, I'm very proud to wear that badge!

The point of the story is that many of the universities that Clemson is competing with (athletically, academically, and financially) have alumns that are doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, etc. Therefore, they are more likely to have the "extra" money to donate to their respective schools -- giving those schools an advantage with respect to fund raising, scholarships, building projects, etc. The "props" are for the fact that Clemson is able to compete with these other universities even though are pockets may not be as deep! You clearly missed that point!

Raise your hand if you are proud to be a "blue collar" alumn from CLEMSON!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

*hand goes up****

Apr 17, 2006, 5:19 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Raised***

Apr 17, 2006, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Huh? "Blue collar" is just a term that is being used ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

some of us engineers like to think we are professionals too

Apr 17, 2006, 4:58 PM

even if the doctors and lawyers don't. :)

I know what you are saying, but a lot of people do go on to med or law school (i know a bunch that did) and still consider Clemson to be their home.

Message was edited by: 3timeTiger®
forgot my smiley face

Message was edited by: 3timeTiger®

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

i just thought it was a very valid point that he made. we

Apr 17, 2006, 5:02 PM

DON'T have those schools and we are a smaller school and yet we're still doing very well. i think he meant it in a very complimentary way.

FAT TAX NOW!

Bowden is right and he's wrong

Apr 17, 2006, 5:07 PM

While Clemson doesn't have a med school, law school, vet school, or pharmacy school, we have plenty of alumni who are have gone on to earn degrees in those areas. The bigger issue is that the lions share of our alumni base is fairly young and still working on their first million. We do really well with what we have and hopefully, in time, we'll be able to do even better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

clemson's UNDERGRADUATE alum are wealthy...

Apr 17, 2006, 5:10 PM

the fact is, undergraduate students stay loyal to their undergraduate school no matter where they go after that.

not having a med or law school probably won't make much of a difference.

clemson grads make plenty of money because we have great undergrad programs like engineering and nursing

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Most of my friends who are CU grads earn a very good living

Apr 17, 2006, 5:16 PM

and they'd be doing even better if they didn't have thousands of dollars in student loans to repay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I like TB but that is a really ignorant thing to say

Apr 17, 2006, 5:28 PM

If he really said this somebody needs to get him straightened out. His job exists because of a university the purpose of which is to educate people and prepare them for careers and CU does an excellent job of that. CU graduates are very successful and are professionals. In truths attorneys and even M.D.s do not make the kind of money most people assume they make. Some do very well, but some from other disciplines do as well and better. The financiers, industrialists, entrepeneurs, etc. become filthy rich. The big disadvantage for Clemson was mentioned earlier in the post. Clemson is a relatively small school for the level of the football program. This means fewer potential donors. Clemson graduates do not generlly go into "blue collar" jobs. That is nonesense.

Sounds like excuse making to me....

Apr 17, 2006, 5:35 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of vets, doctors, and lawyers who went to Clemson and still contribute.

As D1 public schools go, Clemson is medium sized. We'll always have problems competing with the mega-state schools.

Re: Sounds like excuse making to me....

Apr 17, 2006, 5:47 PM

Clemson is a long long ways from medium sized. Clemson is one of the smaller D1 public schools in the country. There are just over 17k kids here this year, and that number won't rise too drastically anytime soon.

Re: TB raised a good point about clemson at the greensboro

Apr 17, 2006, 11:44 PM

the jist of it was other schools have fewer alums raising all the money and clemson has all the alums raising all the money..

Replies: 16
| visibility 2,074
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic