Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well, I have watched three WNBA games so far. I can tell you a couple of things.
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 6
| visibility 1057

Well, I have watched three WNBA games so far. I can tell you a couple of things.

May 16, 2024, 9:14 PM

1) Caitlin Clark is finding out there are a WHOLE LOT of good players in this league.

2) Caitlin Clark is finding on none of them are on her team. She ain't got no help, none. Their big gal (Boston) that played at USuk is just that, big. And slow, and nonathletic. Her college talent must not have followed her to the WNBA. It is gonna be a long season for Clark. She will lose more this year than she has probably lost in her whole life combined.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If game 1 is any indication, their coach sucks.

May 16, 2024, 9:22 PM

Clark either dribbled around or stood in one spot without the ball. Maybe her coach at Iowa can be convinced to come out of retirement.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So based on this thread at least

May 16, 2024, 11:31 PM

two people watch the WNBA

Interesting

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And one person adds to their history of not adding anything worthwhile to ANY

May 17, 2024, 1:02 PM

post in their entire history. Carry on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the fever offense looks horrible

May 16, 2024, 11:32 PM

no chemistry at all

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As for the "no chemistry" pretext

May 17, 2024, 2:14 PM

Two things come to mind: an op-ed I read about the WNBA, and the 1985 NBA All-Star Game freezeout of an up-and-coming superstar named Michael Jordan.

Three things define the WNBA, and this trio is a bigger reason that most people aren't watching than the fact that it's not men's basketball or "not that good" or whatever:
1. Lesbian. More than half of them. (58% is the conservative estimate.)
2. Black. Over 60%.
3. Left-wing activist. Take whatever activism is in the NBA and multiply it by 2 to 5.

To our knowledge, Caitlin Clark is none of those.

So not only is CC in a league where she is in the minority in almost every way, she's also the hot shot rookie that is killing it in sales (see what jersey appears first on the WNBA store for you) and is roundly critiqued by the ESPN talking heads (former players) and current players.

You aren't going to like it if you've been on the job ten years and some new kid who just started last week gets all the attention (and makes more money than you once endorsements are factored in).

She's hated by the league in which she plays for being different. Don't you think some of that would extend to her own teammates?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are describing Tiger Woods and the state of the PGA Tour when he first came

May 17, 2024, 6:48 PM

on the scene. Minus the sexuality part, at least I hope so. The new kid on the block was a total minority, was getting all the attention, the big endorsement contracts before he ever struck a shot as a pro. The rest of them grumbled. Sound familiar?

But, guess what? Tiger Woods brought a hail of a lot of new fans to the game of golf. And, those fans brought a whole lot more MONEY to the PGA Tour, just as Caitlin Clark will do to the WNBA. What has already happened? Instead of having to fly commercial, suddenly the league has committed to private charter flights for the teams for two years. How long has this league been in existence, 30+ years? They should have enough sense to realize what the PGA Tour players finally did, which is,

A RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS.

Instead of trying to bash Caitlin Clark, they should be thanking her for the sudden uptick of interest in their league. Teams are moving their games against the Fever into NBA arenas because the ticket demands are suddenly through the roof. This could finally put womens pro basketball on the map, if they will let it.

And, Caitlin Clark is not a one woman band. Angel Reese is another among SEVERAL high profile players to hit the league this year. But, make no mistake, Caitlin Clark, because of what she is, a great, straight, WHITE player, is leading the charge. Like it or not, that still carries weight on advertisement row. There are already great players in the league, black and white. But none who move the needle publicity wise like her. The pressure to perform well for her is immense. She may or may not be up to it. I hope she is, because if so, she may just make the WNBA a profitable business enterprise, which will CERTAINLY garner attention, and make for bigger salaries for ALL the women in it.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1057
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next