Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Truck Talk - the 2025 RamCharger.....Help me process this.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 4
| visibility 101

Truck Talk - the 2025 RamCharger.....Help me process this.....

Nov 7, 2023, 9:03 AM

If I read this right, this is an EV truck with a 27-gallon gas generator motor just to charge the batteries.

This Ram Ramcharger effectively takes the battery-electric powertrain developed for the Ram 1500 Rev and throws a Pentastar V6 under the hood as a 130-kW onboard generator. Despite having 3.6 liters of displacement under the hood, this Pentastar has no mechanical connection to power the wheels, which means this isn’t a PHEV—it’s an EV with an onboard range-extending generator.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a45756231/2025-ram-ramcharger-details-pictures-specs/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basically a Chevy Volt as a pickup

Nov 7, 2023, 9:05 AM

V-6 seems to be massive overkill for the generator.

A small, well tuned engine should efficiently charge the batteries.

Maybe it’s to double as a worksite generator? That’s the only way it makes sense

Message was edited by: cu85tiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

MotorTrend's take

Nov 7, 2023, 9:23 AM

I agree that engine size seems excessive....UNLESS you can use it for a bunch of other things, which apparently you will be able to.

The Ramcharger doesn't just tow big numbers, it has enough onboard energy capacity to power a city block. That's not entirely true, but when you consider its 7.2 kWh on-board power output (120 volt or 240 volt) is about triple the 2.0 kW Ford offers on regular F-150s (though the F-150 Hybrid is available with up to 7.4 kW, and the Lightning with up to 9.6), and what Ram offers with the 2025 1500, it sure seems like it. The Hummer EV pickup's 6.0 kW generator isn't even in the conversation anymore. The Ramcharger certainly can power a house in an emergency, and it's a lot more practical than using a pure EV to do it when there is no way to recharge the vehicle.

Vehicle-to-vehicle charging is also possible. Imagine that you run your EV dead, so you call your buddy with a truck to come rescue you. But instead of towing your car somewhere, you hang out for a bit while your car charges enough to get to a charger. See, it's a win for truck people (big bad truck rescues hapless EV) but it's also a win for the progression of electrified vehicles, whether the truck people realize it or not. And eventually, they will. If you forgot already, the Ramcharger is the most capable Ram 1500.

The Ramcharger's onboard power can be used to power plenty of tools at once or other equipment and is a great option for the outdoorsy stuff. The battery should have enough power to run accessories needed for outdoors activities quietly through the night, and in the morning the generator kicks on (if needed) and you drive away. There's one less thing to put on the packing list.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-ram-1500-ramcharger-first-look-review/

All EV's are stopgap to something bigger and much better.

Nov 7, 2023, 9:29 AM

Whether that is a quick charging/ much longer life battery, or hydrogen on a mass scale at a much better economy than it is now, or harnessing zero point energy, I wouldn't buy an EV now if I had to.

So many things wrong here, but the biggest is the fact that they

Nov 7, 2023, 10:30 AM

didn't make the Ram Charger a Ram based SUV. It's not as bad as the EV Mustang, but it's still unforgivable.

I also don't think there's any demand whatsoever for these trucks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 101
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next