Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Softball and Infield
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 4
| visibility 901

Softball and Infield

Apr 15, 2024, 9:14 AM

How many different infield arrangements have we had this year? At the beginning of the season, Brown was at 3rd, and now Logoleo is at 3rd, for example. We've had some pretty key errors - especially yesterday - from infield throwing errors. I understand that fielding is pretty much fielding - catching a ball isn't really too dependent upon where you are on the field. But throwing is totally different. It's a long throw from 3rd to 1st, for example, and spatial awareness is very different, too, in terms of keeping your head on a swivel and knowing where to look and where to throw.

I'd think that one key to the rest of our season is some stability and discipline in the infield. All of those girls are good fielders. No questions about that. But the discipline and 2nd nature to get the ball from 3rd to 1st, or to catch a ball and look from 2nd to 1st to home, for example - that takes time and experience.

Not sure why he's moved people around so much in the infield this year, but we've given up several runs - key runs - to infield errors, and if we're going to make a strong run to the end of the season, we gotta get that cleaned up and I think that simply starts with some consistency and a lot of discipline and awareness.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Softball and Infield

Apr 15, 2024, 11:50 AM

Brown actually started the season at SS and then moved to third and now second. She’s a good player but hasn’t played as well as she did last year at UNC. Personally, I like Maddie at 2nd because if you designed a softball second baseman, she would be it. Second base in softball has more to do than a second baseman in baseball due to all the bunting and the need to cover first. I feel like we have 2 of our 4 infielders out of their most natural position (Brown and Moore). Maybe I’d feel differently if I watched them practice. My daughter played and the ball just comes of the bat different if you flip sides so I think it does make a difference. Her opinion, not mine.

Team has the pieces to make a run but I think that’s all dependent on 72 being healthy.

Apr 18, 2024, 9:46 AM

The moves started early when Logoleo was struggling at 3rd. Rittman made the swap with Brown. That resulted in a few instances of not getting the ball to first in time but wasn’t hurting the Tigers if they were producing runs. Then opponents really started to exploit small ball against Brown. We saw Rittman finally move her to second. So it’s really been about finding the best two infielders with strong arms and quick reflexes on the left side. This seems to be working ok, but Rittman needs to find new players so Moore can return to 2nd next season where she has flourished.

Apr 18, 2024, 3:35 PM

Actually Brown wasn’t aggressive enough or at least was slow to react at SS and had a tendency to wait on the ball (meaning it was too late to make the throw and get the out at 1st) so they moved her to 3rd and put Logoleo back at SS. The move the current arrangement was made because of the errors but more importantly because there were signs of confidence issues among them.

Of course last season we had a phenomenal 3rd baseman in Reedy Davenport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2024, 4:10 PM

TX Tiger® said:

Actually Brown wasn’t aggressive enough or at least was slow to react at SS and had a tendency to wait on the ball (meaning it was too late to make the throw and get the out at 1st) so they moved her to 3rd and put Logoleo back at SS. The move the current arrangement was made because of the errors but more importantly because there were signs of confidence issues among them.

Of course last season we had a phenomenal 3rd baseman in Reedy Davenport.

Completely agree with your thoughts , but the slow reaction (atleast to her left) and not getting after weak grounders/bunts was also a problem at 3rd for Brown. Second base seems to have settled things. Well she did have that bad error in the 7th, and McCubbin was none too happy.

Replies: 4
| visibility 901
Tiger Boards - Women's Sports
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next