Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm looking to get back into golf; I need recommendations for irons
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 34
| visibility 1,651

I'm looking to get back into golf; I need recommendations for irons

Apr 15, 2024, 11:21 AM

30 years ago I played golf most every day and had my handicap down pretty low. Then I got married, had 4 kids and gave up golf. Now kids have moved out and I'm semi-retired and want to get back at it. Back in the day I was pretty fair golfer I could work the ball left or right. I do not want cavity back irons. I want a tour blade like I use to have. What do you recommend?
I'm looking at Taylormade P770. Anyone in here play these?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm looking to get back into golf; I need recommendations for irons

Apr 15, 2024, 11:24 AM

Mizuno Pro series 241/243/245 they are really good irons.

Apr 15, 2024, 4:11 PM

I played several brands when I went back to blades. Mizuno is what I bought. Great irons.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Golfwrx says...

Apr 15, 2024, 11:36 AM

https://www.golfwrx.com/737324/best-irons-in-golf-of-2024-best-blades/

Apr 15, 2024, 11:37 AM

As a retired PGA member, I would recommend a visit to a good golf store who has a fitting program and get fitted before you purchase anything. A good iron for players who need help getting the ball in the air easier with higher trajectory would be is the Tour Edge "Hot Launch" Irons, they are reasonably mid-priced. As for Driver, and Fairway "Woods" I would go with what you hit the best when being fitted. Good luck "Fairways and Greens". Putter makes know difference other than face balanced, whatever feels right to you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless You Are an Advanced Iron Player Some Level of Non Blade is What

Apr 15, 2024, 11:43 AM

Will serve you best as they are far more forgiving. You will look more cool with blades tho :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 12:32 PM

You were good if you could work it left and right. I quit
several years ago but I was great at slicing and hooking
but couldn't figure out to hit it straight. I played mostly
in the woods and that takes skill.Good luck on your return.

Apr 15, 2024, 1:12 PM

Recently got a set of the P770 with the 205 gram stiff shafts. As a 71 year old I'm back to hitting my 7 iron 150 to 155 yards. Needless to say I'm very pleased with them. Good luck and enjoy!

Apr 15, 2024, 1:48 PM

I play hybrids at 3 and 4, cavity backs at 5 thru 9, and blades on the wedges. I used to always play blades myself and still like the control on the wedges, but I need the forgiveness on the others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 1:57 PM

Dang kids!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taylor Made clubs readily snap in two.

Apr 15, 2024, 1:59 PM

However, in field test after field test, I found they do not float.

I hope this helps narrow your search.

LOL. True golf story, happened at my old "home" nine hole course years ago. An

Apr 15, 2024, 7:22 PM

older gentleman, (A LEFTY) who was still around a 10 handicap, was having a very bad day. He had a volcanic temper anyway, and he finally lost it on the 4th hole, and threw his club in frustration. It landed in the limbs of a pine tree by the green. He tossed another three clubs after it, trying to dislodge it, and wound up with FOUR clubs stuck in the tree. He quit playing, went home, got his shotgun, and came back and shot the limbs off the tree to retrieve his clubs.

That kind of thing could only happen at a small, semiprivate country golf course.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a set of those DeChambeaus for $10k...***

Apr 15, 2024, 2:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 2:03 PM

Game has changed so much in 30 years, that it's not the same game anymore - like said, go to a store ( like Golf Galaxy ) you can hit different types of clubs, till you feel comfortable with them -- I started back after 25 or so years and went through about 7 different sets
,before finding my comfort zone -- "Big Headed Drivers", hybrids, graphite shafts, and the strong lofted clubs, keep us Ol' guys in the game !!!!! Good Luck***

Are you sure about that?

Apr 15, 2024, 2:09 PM

As the saying goes, golf is a nice walk ruined. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I hit Mizuno Irons and Taylor Made golf ball***

Apr 15, 2024, 2:51 PM

Apr 15, 2024, 2:53 PM

I have a set of the Ping I 210’s and 525’s. Love both of them. Ping has never disappointed, but my golf swing continuously does!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Apr 15, 2024, 2:54 PM

Why not get a fitting to find out exactly what suits you and you also like in return? You may be surprised at some of the cavity backed clubs now. The feel in fantastic in quite a few sets.

Dont put too many in the fire.***

Apr 15, 2024, 2:56 PM

Apr 15, 2024, 4:16 PM

If you're serious about the game and want to get back to where you once were then I would suggest that you get fitted at a fitting center or at a local golf course where a Class A Head PGA Professional and his assistant pros can help you.If you lived in Myrtle Beach you would have access to a good many Golf courses that do a thorough fitting and also 2 PGA Tour Superstores and Golf Galaxy's that have hitting bays in them and state of the art equipment that will give you a precise reading of your club head speed for Woods and Irons that help with finding the shaft flex that is the proper one for your club head speed,along with launch angle reading,lie angle reading to see if you require more of upright neutral or flat when it comes to the degrees.I did a club fitting at a Callaway Performance Center many years ago in Myrtle Beach,it's not there now but when it was I got a good fitting done and they sold me the right clubs that I needed to play the game good.Just me but I would not go grab a set of clubs off the wall racks in a store and head off to the course without getting thoroughly fitted for them.Good Luck with what ever you decide to do

Apr 15, 2024, 4:19 PM

forgot to mention that the fitting will also give you a proper reading of your grip size

Apr 15, 2024, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm looking to get back into golf; I need recommendations for irons ]

PGA Tour Superstore does not have computer analysis of my swing and Golf Galaxy does correct? I live in Charleston. I know there is an Edwin Watts store here but I do want the best fitter.

Apr 15, 2024, 5:19 PM

I live in Conway and the PGA Tour Superstore in Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach does... https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/studio-landing-page.html and also the Golf Galaxy in Myrtle Beach next to ##### Sporting Goods does also but I never got a swing analysis done there... https://www.golfgalaxy.com/s/golf-services .A long time ago I used to work at the PGA Tour Superstore in Myrtle Beach and we would give you a read out on paper of your specs from the swing analysis

Apr 15, 2024, 5:28 PM

I wish we had a Edwin Watts in Myrtle Beach but we don't, surprising kinda that we don't have one with Myrtle Beach being a Golf and Tourist Industry

Apr 15, 2024, 4:16 PM

Titleist T100's. I love them. So does Ludvig Aberg and Max Homa.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Apr 15, 2024, 4:20 PM

Whatever set you decide on, see if you can get a demonstrator set for about a week. Play a few rounds, and see if you can really hit them. I bought a set of irons, got fit, hit balls at the golf center, etc.
Once I got my clubs, I tried for 3 years to hit them well and finally gave up. I gave them to my son, and I went back to my old Tommy Armour's. Right away I started hitting my irons pure again. I'll never change again.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 15, 2024, 4:31 PM

The Tommy Armour's that you have are they the 845 Silver Scots?I had a set of those way back in the late 90's early 2000's but sold them when I got fitted for Callaway's.Wish I would have kept the 845's now instead of selling them...

Apr 15, 2024, 5:20 PM

I had the 845 irons back in the late 80s, but bought the 855 irons around 1995 or so. I sold the 845s at that time. I have always loved the 855 irons. More forgiving and slightly larger sweet spot than the 845 irons. They never caught on as well as the 845 irons.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Apr 15, 2024, 5:23 PM

If you can hit blades, you probably do not need to be asking us. I was fitted for PXG irons, hybrids, and woods a couple of years ago, but had to go to Atlanta to get fitted. They are great clubs, but all the new major manufactured clubs are great. The retired PGA member that suggested getting fitted is excellent advice.

Are you military by chance?

Apr 15, 2024, 5:48 PM

If so, take a look at PXG. They are good clubs and you won’t beat their veteran discount.

Re: Are you military by chance?

Apr 15, 2024, 6:44 PM

Thats what I did ....... excellent price!

Apr 15, 2024, 5:57 PM

A new back and joints

I recommend renting a set for your first outing back.

Apr 15, 2024, 7:41 PM

After you return then, take two weeks off then quitting again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 8:23 PM

Don't get flex graphite shafts, go steel until you find your swing again.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2024, 8:47 PM

I would highly recommend getting fitted at a golf shop before spending any money.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1,651
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next