Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball Reality Check
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 803

Baseball Reality Check

May 17, 2024, 7:54 AM

We are a very good offensive baseball team that despite our pitching woes deserves to be ranked where we are and deserved a national seed if we take 2 out of 3 or sweep Boston College. Along with that have a decent showing at the ACC Tournament.

This team will also have a hard time getting to Omaha, and could possibly struggle getting out of the Regional due to the pitching. This pitching will keep them from winning a Natty.

Those are the facts and the fan base needs to understand that this type of team is way to unpredictable and any scenario shouldn’t suprise anyone. They are a good team and a top ten team but not the type of team that wins National Championships.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball Reality Check

May 17, 2024, 8:36 AM

I'm fully aware, but I'm still going to support this team instead of calling them terrible or trash everytime we make a bad play, or give up a run.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2024, 12:01 PM

I’m pretty sure I didn’t trash the team and hope they do play for a National Championship. I was just stating some reality that this team is going to be unpredictable so any scenario is possible.

fsutiger?

May 17, 2024, 9:16 AM

Was UGAtiger already taken?

Re: fsutiger?

May 17, 2024, 11:51 AM

I’m a born and raised tiger fan that went to FSU for the program I was majoring in that Clemson didn’t offer. Although my Alma mater is Florida State I’m still a tiger fan.

May 17, 2024, 9:18 AM

Take a breath and let's win a regional first...these talks of Omaha are silly.

May 17, 2024, 9:44 AM

Look, why not celebrate that we have won 38 games so far, won both games against South Carolina and swept all 3 against Florida State? We are not a program that often wins Regionals and makes it to Omaha so even having a chance would be great whether it would be by scoring runs or having good pitching.

May 17, 2024, 11:43 AM

Yeah recently, but the way you said that males it seem like we have rarely EVER won a regional or made it to Omaha. When in reality we have:

12 CWS appearances
15 regional championships
45 NCAA Tournament appearances
11 conference tournament championships
23 regular season conference championships
#10 all time in wins

So we have plenty of great history. Programs go through rough times every now and then. Remember Alabama in the 90s? All it takes is one bad hire to derail your program for years. But fortunately I think we got the right guy for the job now.

May 17, 2024, 10:00 AM

This team could win every game against any opponent, or they could lose against any opponent. The offense is that streaky.
College baseball is in a major transitional period and pitching with command will become a premium. You can't just overpower hitters anymore. When I talk about command, I'm not talking about control. Control is throwing strikes. Command is hitting your spots. There is a big difference. That difference is magnified right now in college baseball by two contributing factors.
One is the umpire grading system with the strike zone tracking. Umps are striving for a 90% or better grade behind the plate. That means that the pitch painted 1"-2" off the plate is probably going to be a ball. Austin Gordon was a perfect example of this last night. He benefited from a couple of borderline calls in the last night that were probably balls according to the tracking system. Because of that, he was almost unhittable. When you don't get those calls, it means pitchers can't nibble outside, and when you miss around the middle of the plate that leads to the second contributing factor.
We are nearing the end of the COVID Year players. These guys are older, stronger, and have seen way more at-bats than guys in pre-Covid careers. You miss middle or middle-in and they square it up. Couple that with new bat technology and the ball goes a long way. I believe we will see another bat regulation change in the near future. Teams that hit the ball to all fields will become elite overnight if that happens. Ray Tanner's NC teams at USuC were prime beneficiaries of the last major bat over hall. Tanner was on the rules committee and saw the changes coming to end the gorilla ball era. he started recruiting accordingly and when the changes happen, he was ahead of the curve. Bakich's plate approach is very similar to those USuC teams, although some of our guys have gotten away from that approach lately.
With that being said, this team can advance deep in the post season. It's all about who gets hot and matchups. They could just as easily get sent home early. Either way I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. I believe this coaching staff is elite and what they've accomplished with this roster is nothing short of amazing. They are way ahead of schedule and have vastly overachieved thus far in my opinion.

May 17, 2024, 11:48 AM

I've been trying to tell people that all year. Very few teams have ELITE pitching this year. Arkansas has the lowest era and last time I looked it was around 3.70. That's good, borderline great, but no where near ELITE. I remember those UCLA and Virginia teams that had sub 2.00 eras.

There definitely needs to be some new bat regulations. Or it could be the ball, idk. But if they do I feel like we are well positioned to thrive given bakich's philosophy.

May 17, 2024, 10:02 AM

Replies: 4 | visibility 301
User Logo
fsutiger1276
Standout [309]
TigerPulse: 92%
Baseb­all Reality Check 1
May 17, 2024, 7:54 AM

We are a very good offensive baseball team that despite our pitching woes deserves to be ranked where we are and deserved a national seed if we take 2 out of 3 or sweep Boston College. Along with that have a decent showing at the ACC Tournament.

This team will also have a hard time getting to Omaha, and could possibly struggle getting out of the Regional due to the pitching. This pitching will keep them from winning a Natty.

Those are the facts and the fan base needs to understand that this type of team is way to unpredictable and any scenario shouldn’t suprise anyone. They are a good team and a top ten team but not the type of team that wins National Championships.

GOSH LET ME THINK. DO I LISTEN TO A COACH THAT HAS PLAYED FOR IT ALL AND HAD A TAM RANKED NUMBER 1 OR DO I LISTEN TO IDIOTS ON THE INTERNET THAT HAVE NO CLUE. YES WE HAVE STRUGGLED PITCHING WISE BUT IT WAS ONLY A MONTH AGO THAT WE LEAD THE ACC IN ERA AND WERE 14TH IN THE COUNTRY. MAYBE THE GUYS WILL CATCH THEIR 2ND WIND. MAYBE OUR STARTERS CAN GO A LITTLE DEEPER INTO GAMES. LETS SEE HOW TRISTAN AND KNAAK PITCH. MAYBE THEY CAN PITCH GOOD ENOUGH TO REST THE PEN A LITTLE. THERE IS A LOT MORE GOING ON THAN JUST SAYING OUR PITCHING SUCKS. GUESSING THE NEXT 2 GAMES WILL NOT BE 12-10.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2024, 11:32 AM

Last time I looked the team with the most runs at the end of the game wins. Doesn't matter how you get there. 12-11 still wins. This team has 22 come from behind wins. No lead is safe. You say lack of pitching will keep them from winning. I say abundance of hits gives them a great opportunity.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2024, 12:30 PM

Why don't we see how things shape up the next few weeks before we count them out. Its why they play the games after all and don't just name a champion in May.

Replies: 12
| visibility 803
Tiger Boards - Clemson Baseball
add New Topic