Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground,
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 18
| visibility 951

Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground,

Apr 16, 2024, 1:39 PM

17 total (12 Park's Whoppers, 5 Big Boys). Lime and fertilizer added to soil, and a pencil size stick inserted beside each stem to prevent cutworm damage. Each plant caged and heavy mulch surrounding the plants! Hopefully, we'll be eating by mid-June!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground,

Apr 16, 2024, 1:54 PM

Going to get my plants now. Will plant this weekend. May get a park's whopper if they have any. Otherwise it will be a Beefstake and Better boys and a big boy. I'm only planting 7. One yellow cherry mater. 6 regulars.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good Luck!!***

Apr 16, 2024, 3:22 PM

Apr 16, 2024, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground, ]

Big Boy and better Boy is always my #1 choice. Better boys for a salad or just slicing to eat, and the Big Boys are for one slice mater sammiches with Dukes mayo, oh so good!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 3:24 PM

My father always had us wrap transplants in newspaper to stop cutworms.

A great trick I have learned for squash/zucchini is to plant the seed/transplant inside a 6" plastic pot (with the bottom half cut off). That prevents squash borers from ruining the adult plants. Apparently, borers crawl across the ground and cannot climb over the plastic pots. I've done this for two years now with great success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll give the squash vine borer trick a try.

Apr 16, 2024, 3:39 PM

I've yet to find a solution for those little jerks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground, ]

Just black pepper will keep most bugs and worms off your plants...

Apr 16, 2024, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground, ]

Do you get multiple yields from the plants? I use nursery containers and for last three years worms get me after one yield. Any further advice?

Sevin, or a mix and spray***

Apr 16, 2024, 4:41 PM

Apr 16, 2024, 3:41 PM

did you do soil test?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 3:55 PM

You really don't need a soil test when using lime, it brings it back to neutral, and I'll use miracle grow for fertilizing them, and calcium, bc tomatoes love calcium, and I always have beautiful tomatoes....

I have used my ground for nearly 30 years,

Apr 16, 2024, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Alright, Tomatoes are all in the ground, ]

usually lime and 10-10-10 is the trick for me, plus generous with the mulch!(Mulch holds moisture and if decayed somewhat gives vital nutrients)

Apr 16, 2024, 3:45 PM

Don't forget the calcium bc if you do, you will get those dark spots on your tomatoes and they will spit open next to the stem.

And for the folks that don't know, NEVER water your tomatoes by a sprinkle system or by spraying with a water hose directly on the plant bc if you do, it will cause what they call Blights disease, and that's when the leaves will start curling inward. Always water tomato plants directly on top of the soil toward the root. Remember that early or late Blights disease equals throwing away those plants infected bc it's too costly and too hard to cure Blights disease, it's almost impossible, if not impossible....

Apr 16, 2024, 4:06 PM

Yes. Mat as well pull the blight disease plants up and throw away. If you rotate your maters every year, you usually won't get blight disease.

I just returned with my 7 plants. 2 beefstake, 1 sungold cherry, 4 big boy.

Will let them stay in sun for a couple hours for 3 days before planting. They have not been in direct sun. Nice thick stem plants. Single plants at $2 each. For years I planted 32 mater plants. But no where near $2each. More like a six pk. For a dollar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2024, 4:29 PM

Just planted 60 plants and lost four in four days to cutworms even with defenses in place. Aiieeeee

Good method for cutworms

Apr 16, 2024, 4:51 PM

Try collecting some straight sticks about the girth of a pencil, approximately 6-7 inches in length. Place one stick per plant right against the stem about 3 inches(or so) into the ground. The cutworm cannot wrap all the way around the stem, therefore stopping him from cutting the plant.

Re: Good method for cutworms

Apr 16, 2024, 5:02 PM

I’ve got two nails on opposite sides of each stem. I think my cutworms are doing gymnastics

Re: Good method for cutworms

Apr 18, 2024, 9:49 AM

Ha! Ha!

Apr 18, 2024, 2:46 PM

It's time for the last frost of the year!!! 🙂

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 18
| visibility 951